• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Covid Lockdown Reading

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Covid Lockdown Reading

1. "Spillover" by David Quammen - prescient book published in 2013, shows how zoonotic viruses transfer into humans. Not an academic book, reads like a thriller. Probably the best non- academic book to understand our present situation. Currently reading this.

2. "Pale Rider" by Laura Spinney - The Spanish Flu of 1918 and How it Changed the World - the world has been here or hereabouts before. Next on my list.

3. "Hot Zone" by Richard Preston - The Chilling True Story of an Ebola Outbreak - another book I read a few years ago when the Ebola outbreak was its peak. Reads like a thriller.

Warning to CUK cretins, Bean, Whorty et.al: these books sometimes have long words.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

The Rules of Contagion by Adam Kucharski. Recently published (but pre covid-19). Covers contagion of ideas etc. as well.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Oh... reading not Reading

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        The Rules of Contagion by Adam Kucharski. Recently published (but pre covid-19). Covers contagion of ideas etc. as well.
        Will wait for the paperback edition as I usually do. Looks interesting.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

I’m re-reading The Great Influenza by John M. Barry

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            I’m re-reading The Great Influenza by John M. Barry
            An alternative to Laura Spinney's book, I think.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

"Earth Abides" by George R. Stewart.

Lots of good tips in there.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

The Raven - Edgar Allan Poe

Oh, sorry, I thought you said "Corvid".
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  An alternative to Laura Spinney's book, I think.
                  Yes, I’ll probably get hers as well - perfect reading for these strange days

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Yes, I’ll probably get hers as well - perfect reading for these strange days
                    Or as the books show, not so strange ?
                    Plenty of precedent, it's just that those of us living comfortable lives in the post-war Western world forgot that we aren't immune to large, dangerous events.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X