• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Likely to be axed tomorrow

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to hear that.

Yes, it's bad, for many people. There were 500k claims for UC in the last nine days (70k for an advance payment), which points to the scale of what is happening.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      Sorry to hear that.

Yes, it's bad, for many people. There were 500k claims for UC in the last nine days (70k for an advance payment), which points to the scale of what is happening.

Do you have a source? That's insane if true.

We need a proper recession to pop this bubble we've been denying ourselves for the last 12 years.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Grasser73 View Post
        Just had confirmation (from themselves, not the useless agency) that ClientCo has axed all contractors in the team with Friday being the last day.
        Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
        Yes it has been confirmed, the ax has fallen for all contractors at clientco, at least they honour the two weeks notice period
        Genuinely sorry to hear that. NLUK will be along soon to tell you what to do. Do the opposite and everything will work out fine.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

We need a proper recession to pop this bubble we've been denying ourselves for the last 12 years.
          I'm sure all the people losing their contracts and jobs will appreciate your views.

Comment

My latest contract was due to start last Monday and despite assurances that it would happen and they would supply me with laptop to WFH it got canned.

But miffed as I’d been on the bench for 6 months, mainly caring for Himself and getting the right people in place to look after him when I went back to work.
            Ho Hum, back to baking bread then I suppose
            Today i am trying a soft white farmhouse.
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Do you have a source?
              Yes, the SoS for Work and Pensions, in the Commons chamber earlier today.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                Today i am trying a soft white farmhouse.
                Nom nom.

Comment

Unfortunate, yes, but try to put a positive spin on it: Time to try one's often-put-off plan B I guess?
                  Or plan C if, as is the case with me, plan B didn't work out..

Comment

Almost 500,000 people in UK apply for universal credit in nine days | World news | The Guardian

Comment

~500k tax payers have now become liabilities in the space of a week. Good grief, this is a disaster. I wonder what sectors they are from.

Of the 230,000 people who applied for universal credit last week, 70,000 asked for an advance to deal with immediate cashflow problems, which Timms suggested put them into debt to the DWP at the start of the coronavirus crisis.

Coffey said: “I don’t see it as being in debt. I see it as about spreading effectively an annual payment into 13 payments, rather than 12. Then people can chose early on what level of advance they get.”
                      In the space of a few short years the government has gone from Austerity for the masses / bottomless money for HS2, 3rd runway consultants, Brexit & DUP, magic bridge garden - to full Jeremy Corbyn. Impressive.

A number of Deutsch companies are now practicing kurzarbeit (er reduced hours?) so that they don't lose skilled employees. It is often argued this is why Germany recovers quicker that others at the end of a recession as they then do not have to spend time looking for new workers. Wonder if UK employers ever thought to do this before firing folk.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X