• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Covid-19: Eyes and ears on the ground reports... what isn't being reported?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Better to start planning for the worst now.
    Well said, 1 thing we are doing on time and correctly by the look of it. I do wonder about extraction, sound isolation and cross contamination though (as we are told there are different strains out there), imagine being a patient in there, horrible.

The only thing I think we're not being told but hearing on the Junior Doctor Hope's Covid Youtube channel , is NHS staff getting spat at for 'being outside spreading the virus' and mugged for their NHS cards for the early doors shopping; but that's not confirmed.

YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
      Well said, 1 thing we are doing on time and correctly by the look of it. I do wonder about extraction, sound isolation and cross contamination though (as we are told there are different strains out there), imagine being a patient in there, horrible.
      Like a camp of times past, good chance if you're going in you're not coming out.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

What about the poor funeral directors?

Ok not really justified but I used to do the "collect the bodies" work on behalf of the coronor, I cannot now because I'm too high risk apparently but:

Only basic funerals are allowed now. Family cannot attend, it's a case of the hearse or estate wagon or van turning up with the carriers taking the casket in and putting it on the slide for the oven, or in the hole. So I'm guessing the funeral directors must be losing funding hand over fist. Can't charge for all these lavish send offs anymore can they. If it gets bad enough then surely even this won't be enough and storing lots of bodies isn't practical.

Mass graves anyone? Not seen anything that suggests this has been considered.
        Last edited by Lost It; 26 March 2020, 09:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
          Ok not really justified but I used to do the "collect the bodies" work on behalf of the coronor, I cannot now because I'm too high risk apparently but:

Only basic funerals are allowed now. Family cannot attend, it's a case of the hearse or estate wagon or van turning up with the carriers taking the casket in and putting it on the slide for the oven, or in the hole. So I'm guessing the funeral directors must be losing funding hand over fist. Can't charge for all these lavish send offs anymore can they. If it gets bad enough then surely even this won't be enough and storing lots of bodies isn't practical.

Mass graves anyone?
          It's my mother's funeral on Tuesday. Up to press, only myself(plus Mrs and Offspring), and my brother(plus his Mrs and Offspring) are permitted to attend the Crematorium. According to the Undertaker (A really nice chap btw), this may change between now and Tuesday.
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
            It's my mother's funeral on Tuesday. Up to press, only myself(plus Mrs and Offspring), and my brother(plus his Mrs and Offspring) are permitted to attend the Crematorium. According to the Undertaker (A really nice chap btw), this may change between now and Tuesday.
            Sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed that you are able to attend.
            England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

My condolences to you and your family.
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
              Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Sorry to hear that Ziggy - tough times.

Comment

Sorry to hear that.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    I guess that must be it. I was told this IS happening. A few friends have friends working in the NHS and their reports and thoughts are uniformly "this is going to be REALLY bad". Far darker than the tone on the news.

I think the worst part is most of the UK, the NHS isn't actually seeing cases yet. They KNOW it is coming and can simply wait for it.
                    This may not be strictly true if you go here you can get the stats for all countries for daeaths Coronavirus Update (Live): 486,592 Cases and 22,020 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

You can then drill down by country and this is where it gets interesting

The first death for Italy was recorded on 29th February - 6 days later they had a total of 127 deaths
                    The first death for Spain was recorded on 8th March - 6 days later they had a total of 123 deaths
                    The first death for the Uk was recorded on 5th March - 6 days later they had a total of 6 deaths

Italy 10 days - 442 deaths
                    Spain 10 days - 523 deaths
                    UK 10 days - 21 deaths

Italy 15 days - 1420 deaths
                    Spain 15 days - 1762 deaths
                    UK 15 days - 144 deaths

Italy 20 days - 3384 deaths
                    Spain 20 days - N/A (3637 as at day 18)
                    UK 20 days - 422 deaths

So on Monday there was concern as a further 87 died - but then yesterday only 43 died - which is less than died on day 17, 18 and 19 - 56,48 and 54 respectively.

So the next few days are essential can we stabilise and gain control or not? - hopefully the quarantine has had enough of an impact to slow the spread to a point where it is kept within 'manageable' limits.

Fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                      This may not be strictly true if you go here you can get the stats for all countries for daeaths Coronavirus Update (Live): 486,592 Cases and 22,020 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

You can then drill down by country and this is where it gets interesting

The first death for Italy was recorded on 29th February - 6 days later they had a total of 127 deaths
                      The first death for Spain was recorded on 8th March - 6 days later they had a total of 123 deaths
                      The first death for the Uk was recorded on 5th March - 6 days later they had a total of 6 deaths

Italy 10 days - 442 deaths
                      Spain 10 days - 523 deaths
                      UK 10 days - 21 deaths

Italy 15 days - 1420 deaths
                      Spain 15 days - 1762 deaths
                      UK 15 days - 144 deaths

Italy 20 days - 3384 deaths
                      Spain 20 days - N/A (3637 as at day 18)
                      UK 20 days - 422 deaths

So on Monday there was concern as a further 87 died - but then yesterday only 43 died - which is less than died on day 17, 18 and 19 - 56,48 and 54 respectively.

So the next few days are essential can we stabilise and gain control or not? - hopefully the quarantine has had enough of an impact to slow the spread to a point where it is kept within 'manageable' limits.

Fingers crossed.

Actually the government is changing the way it is releasing death figures, which “may not actually be the deaths that have taken place over the last 24 hrs” as family consent is now required.
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X