• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Covid-19: Eyes and ears on the ground reports... what isn't being reported?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Leave him alone. Hes a great chap. Sadly he gets influenced by the cretin king. Once the cretin king goes he will be okay again...
    When you say "goes" you mean dies?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Cut him some slack. Must be difficult, having the urge to lick sas's arris but having to social distance.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
        Ok not really justified but I used to do the "collect the bodies" work on behalf of the coronor, I cannot now because I'm too high risk apparently but:

Only basic funerals are allowed now. Family cannot attend, it's a case of the hearse or estate wagon or van turning up with the carriers taking the casket in and putting it on the slide for the oven, or in the hole. So I'm guessing the funeral directors must be losing funding hand over fist. Can't charge for all these lavish send offs anymore can they. If it gets bad enough then surely even this won't be enough and storing lots of bodies isn't practical.

Mass graves anyone? Not seen anything that suggests this has been considered.
        Well I do work in the industry and as of yesterday you can have up to 10 people at a funeral (exec have been in touch with government) but local rules may still apply, although many people are opting for the cremation without ceremony option with a view to doing something in a few weeks/months assuming things change.

In terms of numbers we do approx 1800 per week on average and we have approx 20% market share (slightly lower in reality but it makes the numbers easier).

We peak at about 2200 funeral per week during the normal busy period over the winter months.

So we can cope with a 400 increase - and that equates to approx an extra 2000 deaths per week overall - so no need for mass graves quite yet.

And finally the business is concerned with the welfare of the bereaved, care of the deceased and care and safety of employees before any consideration of profit at any point in time.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

You may post that. I could not possibly comment.

Comment

Was speaking to a friend whose a nurse at a hospital in berkshire.
            As of Tuesday they had run out ventilators, beds and nurses.
            She was breaking down on the phone to us from exhaustion and just the mounting pressure.

I am currently working at a Mental Health NHS Trust in London. A lot of our clinical staff are being transferred to acute hospitals to assist.

We got an email about NHS Staff being attacked for their cards to people can do to the early shopping hours supermarkets are doing. Been told not to wear it outside of the office.

We also have been given a Letter of authority that we need to print out and keep with us. This is to show that i am a key worker and am allowed unrestricted movement....make of that what you will.

Comment

The "NHS people attacked for their lanyards" story is complete BS, probably propelled by foreign actors on social media.

I'm surprised that they are allowed to propagate internally on NHS emails.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                Gaddamit I need glasses...

So re did the figures and we are still not tracking the same

So revised figures

Italy day 6 16 deaths
                Spain day 6 17 deaths
                UK day 6 6 deaths

Day 10
                Italy - 74
                Spain - 86
                UK - 21

Day 15
                Italy 361
                Spain 533
                UK 144

Day 20
                Italy 1261
                Spain 1772
                UK 422

Increase in deaths between day 14 and 15
                Italy 36 to 133 - 97
                Spain 48 to 191 - 143
                UK 22 to 40 - 7

Largest increase in deaths between and given day
                Italy Day 26 427 - Day 27 627 deaths 200
                Spain Day 19 288 - Day 20 391 deaths 148
                UK Day 19 54 - Day 20 87 deaths 33

Between day 21 and day 22 in the UK the total deaths went down by 44 - UK is at present the only country which has seen a reduction in day to day deaths which is larger than the largest increase in day to day deaths

So potentially the UK may have caught it in time - fingers crossed - unless they have changed the way figures are reported...

That's why the next few days are vital

(All data is subject to my eyesight not being rubbish)

Are you aware the death stats are not necessarily accurate from the UK as a daily update?

A government representative clarified yesterday that when someone died they have to have permission from the family to add them to the specific total. Therefore they may have died a few days ago but only been added to the tally today officially that is then broadcast.

Therefore less deaths posted today is more likely to mean more deaths posted tomorrow that includes people who have died X days ago. This differs from Italy and China who add them to the stats regardless of permission from the family.

I therefore have concerns that deaths are being noted to the tally as only those considered to be from Covid19, rather than from Motor Neurone Disease but finished off by Covid19.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  The "NHS people attacked for their lanyards" story is complete BS, probably propelled by foreign actors on social media.

I'm surprised that they are allowed to propagate internally on NHS emails.
                  Not so sure minestrone - this front line young doctor is hesitant to fully confirm it, but watch the last couple of minutes of this , from 9.40 (actually, I recommend the whole series, it's really interesting).

YouTube

*the link above is wrong sorry, I'm leaving as is, but have posted the one I meant to post on the next page.
                  Last edited by Scoobos; 26 March 2020, 17:26. Reason: numpty

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                    Are you aware the death stats are not necessarily accurate from the UK as a daily update?

A government representative clarified yesterday that when someone died they have to have permission from the family to add them to the specific total. Therefore they may have died a few days ago but only been added to the tally today officially that is then broadcast.

Therefore less deaths posted today is more likely to mean more deaths posted tomorrow that includes people who have died X days ago. This differs from Italy and China who add them to the stats regardless of permission from the family.

I therefore have concerns that deaths are being noted to the tally as only those considered to be from Covid19, rather than from Motor Neurone Disease but finished off by Covid19.
                    well yes obviously we only have some stats to go on but we have to assume we can extrapolate?

or not

time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post

Isn't this the correct way to report the stats? Surely we should report death due to Covid-19 exactly as we do for Flu and other diseases? We should only be reporting deaths as a direct result of this virus, not just people who died but had the virus in their system.
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X