• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Covid-19: Eyes and ears on the ground reports... what isn't being reported?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, there’s some good news if the latest research is to be believed. The virus is now not considered to be airborne.
    Contamination is from bodily fluids or from transfer - i.e. touching something that an infected person has touched.

That would mean for many people, wearing a face mask does very little, you’d be safer with a face visor.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

We always knew that didn't we? Thats the 2 meter thing? it's never been said its airborne, its been said its aerolated. Bodily fluid is liquid particles from coughs sneezes and anything that basically comes out of the mouth and nose.

If it was airborne we'd be in serious tulip. Isolation doesn't even work then, not in the way we are doing it, in shared buildings.
      Last edited by Scoobos; 29 March 2020, 15:14.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Well, there’s some good news if the latest research is to be believed. The virus is now not considered to be airborne.
        Contamination is from bodily fluids or from transfer - i.e. touching something that an infected person has touched.

That would mean for many people, wearing a face mask does very little, you’d be safer with a face visor.
        so it's cool to go into a petrol station wearing a full face lid then??

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
          We always knew that didn't we? Thats the 2 meter thing? it's never been said its airborne, its been said its aerolated. Bodily fluid is liquid particles from coughs sneezes and anything that basically comes out of the mouth and nose.
          It was suspected/hoped. The tests have confirmed it.

Couple of other points: metre, not meter
          And you mean aerosol, not aerolated

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
            so it's cool to go into a petrol station wearing a full face lid then??

From a CV-19 point of view, yes. Also full leathers with gauntlet gloves.

Comment

lol, can i get let off the meter thing as I've worked in American english speaking countries for too long?

I cant stop saying Cellphone either, and as an old bastard, its really upsetting for me.

Point stands tho, no ones ever said this is airborne ? This is why its been wash your hands and dont touch your face. The confusion has come by saying to people to take 'airborne precautions'.

Or at least, thats what I've been reading - and what the WHO have said since China shared it:

Q&A on coronaviruses (COVID-19)

"People can catch COVID-19 from others who have the virus. The disease can spread from person to person through small droplets from the nose or mouth which are spread when a person with COVID-19 coughs or exhales. These droplets land on objects and surfaces around the person. Other people then catch COVID-19 by touching these objects or surfaces, then touching their eyes, nose or mouth. People can also catch COVID-19 if they breathe in droplets from a person with COVID-19 who coughs out or exhales droplets. This is why it is important to stay more than 1 meter (3 feet) away from a person who is sick.

WHO is assessing ongoing research on the ways COVID-19 is spread and will continue to share updated findings. "

"Is COVID-19 airborne?
              The virus that causes COVID-19 is mainly transmitted through droplets generated when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or speaks. These droplets are too heavy to hang in the air. They quickly fall on floors or surfaces.

You can be infected by breathing in the virus if you are within 1 metre of a person who has COVID-19, or by touching a contaminated surface and then touching your eyes, nose or mouth before washing your hands."

Thats not Airborne (but not aerolated either, not sure where I got that word from tbh)

Oh, and while editing 1 last thing I found interesting, is the 'stay more than 1 meter (now 2) away' thing was discovered because when they swabbed people (up the nose) they would cough or sneeze and people caught it. In Korea they swab themselves now and the casualties in healthcare dropped massively since doing that.
              Last edited by Scoobos; 29 March 2020, 15:30.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                Who knows. You tell me. Are they outsourcing it privately? Probably.

Are Germans expected to drive 30 miles to get tested in a hospital car park? Probably not.

Are they hindered by a bunch of lunatic fanatics like us that start screaming about dismantling the NHS any time anyone questions how the system operates? I doubt it.
                You got me n all.

At the moment testing is done by a GP (in full PPE) + ambulance driver, they come round to the house front door and do the test there and then without you leaving. Suspected patients have been asked to stay indoors from the get go.

No outsourcing.

Yanks in particular are critical of the insurance based health system we have here, youtube is full of them. It is not untypical to have a US expat here explaining their recent visit to the hospital for a strap on the arm, or x-ray, or whatever treatment with meds - and then they say you know.... that was €120! I'm like, oh yeah that's steep. What?! Are you insane in the US that would have cost $5k!!

Usually that's followed by how they get 10 days vacation and I'm like - snigger
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Totally agree with you, and it’s only taken 18 days for you to catch up:
                  https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2741964

1500 per day? Think they were doing 10k peeps per day over here.

Folks should be fuming with the government. All those years snorting £££ on SFA and not where it is needed. I don't know how they get away with it.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
                    We always knew that didn't we? Thats the 2 meter thing? it's never been said its airborne, its been said its aerolated.

But now there's a new stain... Here's the last Corba meeting:

Comment

Oh hell - Dustin Hoffman for PM!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X