• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3.5 mln home tests

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.5 mln home tests

“ Thousands of 15-minute home tests for coronavirus will be delivered by Amazon to people self-isolating with symptoms or will go on sale on high street within days, according to Public Health England (PHE), in a move that could restore many people’s lives to a semblance of pre-lockdown normality, writes the Guardian’s health editor, Sarah Boseley.

Prof Sharon Peacock, the director of the national infection service at PHE, told MPs on the science and technology committee that mass testing in the UK would be possible by next week.

The UK government has bought 3.5m of the tests, which the health secretary, Matt Hancock, mentioned on Tuesday with no suggestion they would be available to the public so quickly, and is ordering millions more.”

UK coronavirus mass home testing to be made available 'within days' | World news | The Guardian

Nice if true, not sure 3.5 mln will be anywhere near enough, look for Amazon seller Sledges4Life to sell them for £1000 ...

I hope I'm being paranoid....

So, we are saying that if you test for it, and you've had it, it's ok because they think if you get it a second time you cant transmit it ? This is based on what particular scientific evidence that's been gathered over the 12 weeks(?) since this virus arrived?

Also, getting it twice but not transmitting doesn't make me feel great, with a 'high risk' wife and also the 20% chance of hospitalisation that seems to come with it . (if its a 10% chance, it's still not one I'd like to take).

Feels a lot like just trying to dupe people back into work - admitting defeat, as a conservative government has been given a stark picture of 'lockdown for months , no guarantee that it will not overwhelm hospitals, nor return' or 'pretend lockdown' and try and save the economy, which looks as bleak, if not bleaker than the health situation.

Finally, on my paranoid tin foil hat rant - what happens if people in the home do find out they are immune, the people who didnt give a tulip enough to behave last week? They go out and transfer the virus from a to b with the things they touch?
    People who arent immune pretend they are?
    How can we possibly police a lockdown, if we have to identify each individual based on immunity.

I think, eventually , these are problems that we are all going to face, and China is probably facing now - but its so premature.

I'm really disappointed with this gvt, they are totally full of tulip on this - We have boris playing Winston Churchill on Monday 'enlisting us to stay in' - we've got Matt Hancock yesterday saying "go to work to keep the country running" , the DHSC publishing corona advice to business that says dont send people home if youve had an outbreak onsite - and finally Gove saying "no do stay at home, dont go out" today.

Finally, with all this stuff, absolutely nothing is being said about the mental health price that all these NHS workers are going to pay with the amount of PTSD tulip they must be going through already and certainly, once people start dying due to triage.

Yes... I'm a load of fun at parties.
    Last edited by Scoobos; 25 March 2020, 16:51. Reason: Gove not boris

Comment

The testing is too little, too late.
      All people with symptoms should have been tested (or most). There was plenty of time to prepare.
      As WHO said testing is key, you can't fight this with one hand tied behind your back (not knowing the denominator, or having a good idea).
      I lost confidence in the scientific advisers when the "herd immunity" idea was proposed - a Cummings idea if ever there was one - ridiculed by WHO and the rest of the world.
      By the time they backtracked, 2 weeks were lost.
      But of course the vast majority of this benighted country are too stupid and innumerate to work out what just transpired.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

The main barrier to home testing was that it was a nose and throat swab, so easy for a lay person to get wrong. This is potentially a good solution for how to test people, even if it is somewhat late in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          The main barrier to home testing was that it was a nose and throat swab, so easy for a lay person to get wrong. This is potentially a good solution for how to test people, even if it is somewhat late in the day.
          Bojo's daily press conference on.
          Flannel.
          If I was a journo, I would ask: "Where did Germany find all the kits to test so many more people and how did they do it?"
          And "Why is the CFR so low in Germany compared to the UK"?

This crisis is exposing the lack of high quality STEM training for probably 90% of the population.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Bojo's daily press conference on.
            Flannel.
            If I was a journo, I would ask: "Where did Germany find all the kits to test so many more people and how did they do it?"
            And "Why is the CFR so low in Germany compared to the UK"?
            you're not, so why not just feck off you PITA?

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              you're not, so why not just feck off you PITA?
              Shush, the adults are discussing stuff. Go and bang your head on a concrete wall. there's a good chap.
              Or find a safe space.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                The testing is too little, too late.
                All people with symptoms should have been tested (or most). There was plenty of time to prepare.
                As WHO said testing is key, you can't fight this with one hand tied behind your back (not knowing the denominator, or having a good idea).
                I lost confidence in the scientific advisers when the "herd immunity" idea was proposed - a Cummings idea if ever there was one - ridiculed by WHO and the rest of the world.
                By the time they backtracked, 2 weeks were lost.
                But of course the vast majority of this benighted country are too stupid and innumerate to work out what just transpired.

Bojo just lies and people forget what he says.

Bojo's mate; Professor Whitty is the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) for England, the UK's government Chief Medical Adviser and head of the public health profession is an f***ing twat as said by numerous doctors. They were saying weeks ago that he should resign as he is not up to the job

Bojo’s, other mate the Lord Chief Justice, Lord Burnett of Maldon has messed up the courts.

Jurors packed into crowded courts: how the government defied coronavirus advice | The Secret Barrister | Opinion | The Guardian
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
                  I hope I'm being paranoid....

So, we are saying that if you test for it, and you've had it, it's ok because they think if you get it a second time you cant transmit it ? This is based on what particular scientific evidence that's been gathered over the 12 weeks(?) since this virus arrived?

Also, getting it twice but not transmitting doesn't make me feel great, with a 'high risk' wife and also the 20% chance of hospitalisation that seems to come with it . (if its a 10% chance, it's still not one I'd like to take).

Feels a lot like just trying to dupe people back into work - admitting defeat, as a conservative government has been given a stark picture of 'lockdown for months , no guarantee that it will not overwhelm hospitals, nor return' or 'pretend lockdown' and try and save the economy, which looks as bleak, if not bleaker than the health situation.

Finally, on my paranoid tin foil hat rant - what happens if people in the home do find out they are immune, the people who didnt give a tulip enough to behave last week? They go out and transfer the virus from a to b with the things they touch?
                  People who arent immune pretend they are?
                  How can we possibly police a lockdown, if we have to identify each individual based on immunity.

I think, eventually , these are problems that we are all going to face, and China is probably facing now - but its so premature.

I'm really disappointed with this gvt, they are totally full of tulip on this - We have boris playing Winston Churchill on Monday 'enlisting us to stay in' - we've got Matt Hancock yesterday saying "go to work to keep the country running" , the DHSC publishing corona advice to business that says dont send people home if youve had an outbreak onsite - and finally Gove saying "no do stay at home, dont go out" today.

Finally, with all this stuff, absolutely nothing is being said about the mental health price that all these NHS workers are going to pay with the amount of PTSD tulip they must be going through already and certainly, once people start dying due to triage.

Yes... I'm a load of fun at parties.
                  What ? is she like 14 ?
                  When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                    What ? is she like 14 ?
                    Any photos?
                    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X