• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much is a human life worth?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£3.50 + VAT.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Compensation claims always have to balance this and turn to cold, hard guidelines because there is no price you can put on the emotional loss.

A formula for calculating such a thing could look at age, health, level of education and level of wealth to determine an expected death date if it weren't brought forward in an untimely manner. From that, you could calculate how many years of contribution to the economy that were lost and multiply that by the median wage.

I'm pretty sure something like that already exists but I CBA to google for it.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Compensation claims always have to balance this and turn to cold, hard guidelines because there is no price you can put on the emotional loss.

A formula for calculating such a thing could look at age, health, level of education and level of wealth to determine an expected death date if it weren't brought forward in an untimely manner. From that, you could calculate how many years of contribution to the economy that were lost and multiply that by the median wage.

I'm pretty sure something like that already exists but I CBA to google for it.
        Quality life years (QALY) used to be a thing. Not sure if they still are.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
          How much is a car worth? How much is a house worth? Same principle, some are worthless some are worth a lot.

The real philosophical question to ask is, how many lives would you sacrifice to save your own life, or that of a loved one?
          Or, should we sacrifice the few to save the many? Lots of research and studies around this moral dilemma.
          Last edited by Whorty; 26 March 2020, 09:30.
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Based on supply and demand, and rarity, I would put a human life at approximately zero.

Just pricing it up like a trader.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              Or, should we sacrifice the few to save the many? Lots of research and studies around this moral dilemma.

can we select the sacrificial lambs?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
              X