• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

60% LTV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Serious question - our mortgage fixed rate ends in June. I was leaning towards a 3 year fix again but our broker recommended a 5 or 2 year fix as he said the rates were more competitive.

He’s found me a 5 year fix of 1.44% at 60% LTV - can obviously get better rates on a 2 year fix but it seems like a 5 year deal would be a sensible option right now, am I right?
    I'm just about to sign my year 5 fixed rate. There is only one way it can go from 1.44% IMO. The more competitive rates save me 20 quid a month so Its a no brainer to me.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I'm just about to sign my year 5 fixed rate. There is only one way it can go from 1.44% IMO. The more competitive rates save me 20 quid a month so Its a no brainer to me.
      I'm just about to pay mine off. Before my Mrs spends my inheritance!
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
        I'm just about to pay mine off. Before my Mrs spends my inheritance!
        How many pairs of shoes can you buy for the worth of a house?
        I suspose she is going to find out....

Comment

Yup, I'm thinking the same. It has a £995 booking fee but worth it, broker isn't charging a fee either. I'll need 60%LTV to get it which would require a valuation of £10k more than when it was last valued 3 years ago, touch wood we can get it.

Comment

Yup, I'm thinking the same. It has a £995 booking fee but worth it, broker isn't charging a fee either. I'll need 60%LTV to get it which would require a valuation of £10k more than when it was last valued 3 years ago, touch wood we can get it.
            Or, can you risk pulling funds out of yourCo to make a lump sum against your mortagage (assuming you don't incur fees for that)?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Or, can you risk pulling funds out of yourCo to make a lump sum against your mortagage (assuming you don't incur fees for that)?
              Could do if necessary, though I'm hoping there's been sufficient growth in three years to get us over the line.

Comment

That shouldn't be a problem with house prices going up at 1.7% last year and whatever for the 2 years before. I'd be putting a new price at the top end of the market value (but still realistic) to be well within personally. If we do hit a recession and prices drop you want it dropping for a higher value in case it causes LTV issues in the future.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Serious question - our mortgage fixed rate ends in June. I was leaning towards a 3 year fix again but our broker recommended a 5 or 2 year fix as he said the rates were more competitive.

He’s found me a 5 year fix of 1.44% at 60% LTV - can obviously get better rates on a 2 year fix but it seems like a 5 year deal would be a sensible option right now, am I right?
                  5-year is a steal. Grab with both hands, but maybe not for the reasons you think... fixing your monthly payments.

House prices will crash like the stock market in the months ahead. As a result, cheaper housing will become available. On paper you'll be paying more per month in years four / five on your fixed rate compared to someone on a higher rate for the same house just because of a collapse in housing prices.

Therefore if you think you'll be moving in five years from now, think again.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    House prices will crash like the stock market in the months ahead.
                    They will only crash if unemployment and falling wages persist so that banks need to (continue to) restrict lending for safety. The housing market is basically on ice for the foreseeable future. Any correction happens at the margins and won't be known until the market is no longer on ice. I hope they go down, because they are over-inflated, and they will probably follow other asset classes down to some degree, but they aren't currently being traded like other asset classes, so they're a special case. I think Nomura are predicting a 13% decline by this time next year, which is pretty minimal given the growth in recent years (and the relative performance of other assets).

Comment

That shouldn't be a problem with house prices going up at 1.7% last year and whatever for the 2 years before. I'd be putting a new price at the top end of the market value (but still realistic) to be well within personally. If we do hit a recession and prices drop you want it dropping for a higher value in case it causes LTV issues in the future.
                      We need a valuation of £369k which is an increase of £9k over the previous valuation which is about 1.025% increase in three years. That’s just a conservative estimate though, broker is going to submit £375k which lies somewhere between the last bank valuation and middle of the Zoopla estimate although I only take that as a very rough guide.

No plans to move though and we would have paid around £30k in capital over that time so even if prices drop I’m not too worried about staying below the 60% threshold when the time comes.

Comment

Working...
                      X