• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coronavirus: Jeremy Corbyn says he was proved 'right' on public spending

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    I'm planning on doing a public sector rant tomorrow, it'll be based on my many tours of duty in the public sector over the last nearly 30 years, so make sure you tune in. We can have some fun. There's no proper sport happening, and I'm not blaming the government for that either. You can play along at home, including having a go at "guess how much the Royal Navy wasted on computers which were purchased for a software application which was delayed by more than 4 years?" After which point the computers didn't even have any scrap value. This was in the late 1990's. Closest guess wins a prize. Afterwards we can discuss the funding of public services. If you give them a fiver, they will spend a tenner, and ask you to lend them another fifty.

I'm biting already, I've done 6 years public sector and 14 years private.

Whilst i get that, hows the private sector any different? I worked at a key bank for 2 years prior to the crisis and also with one of the best software companies in the world. I could tell stories about how much money was wasted , or farmed off to friends businesses, left right and centre. I've also worked in the Public sector but I think that the concept of 'taxpayers money' gives everything much more gravity than , say , Microsoft throwing billions (of stockholder money) on Nokia for windows OS, or Alphabet for G-Suite.

My view on a problem in the public sector is they are TOO protected by archaic unionistic terms and conditions , people are almost impossible to fire after 20 years service. Here's something that probably supports your view on Public Sector , I posted a few days ago about the DWP:
    "DWP is 80% cretins burning money trying to implement & migrate ridiculously over complicated systems (a.k.a BPDTS) 5% front line and 15% actual claim workers."

but...

I could say the 80/20 thing about many Private Sector too. It's just a human failing maybe?

I think making mistakes , and bad leadership is a common theme, in the public and private sector.
    Last edited by Scoobos; 28 March 2020, 14:22. Reason: to put in quote made in another post

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      If Labour had won, they'd have pissed away hundreds of billions last year, and would have none left to spend on the Corona virus crisis!
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

We don't have any money to spend now.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

wot? sh1tcoin gone bust??
          Germany has imploded?
          why dont YOU have any money?

Comment

No money, no taxes - it's the way we wealthy people roll, dint you know?
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

gadge

Comment

The Tories were happy to blame Blair / Brown for over-borrowing in advance of the 2008 crash.

This time round, the Tories ran down the NHS they inherited from Blair / Brown, leaving it less prepared for the global pandemic.

Comment

It's your own fault for forgetting to expense your Thistle Hotel Heathrow stay.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g191261-d253629-r118208904-Thistle_London_Heathrow_Hotel-West_Drayton_Greater_London_England.html

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    The Tories were happy to blame Blair / Brown for over-borrowing in advance of the 2008 crash.

This time round, the Tories ran down the NHS they inherited from Blair / Brown, leaving it less prepared for the global pandemic.
                    Do you think Labour would have talen pandemic report seriously? No chance

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      Do you think Labour would have talen pandemic report seriously? No chance
                      That's the spirit.

Comment

Working...
                      X