• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Comparisons shopping in the supermarket - Germany / UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    2) The checkout - no cash, only contactless.
    Surprising!! A German friend of mine told me only last year how un-widespread the use of cards are vs. cash, mostly because they believe that prices will go up if cards become widespread, and ze Germans are VERY careful with money.

@Eirikur, it's probably something to do with the war

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      Surprising!! A German friend of mine told me only last year how un-widespread the use of cards are vs. cash, mostly because they believe that prices will go up if cards become widespread, and ze Germans are VERY careful with money.

Germans, especially older ones, tend to be cash only but the use of cards and contactless payments has increased a lot over the last couple of years although quite a few restaurants and smaller places still don't take credit cards and most pubs are cash only.
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Tell me what it is like when you go to the supermarket? Are you guys seeing the same behaviour?

Was surprised how much social attitudes changed in the space of a week. Yesterday be like:

1) People waited at the bottom of the aisle until I was finished.
        Yeah, but was this in some nice village/small town or somewhere like the area around Frankfurt HB? (the only place in the world where I have seen someone openly smoking crack in the street)

I live in Zurich, Switzerland(I realise that isn't Germany), went to a railway station supermarket last night, and no one was obeying niceties like waiting at the end aisles, but I know the people in some nice village would be doing that (just as they would in some nice village in the UK)
        Last edited by reddog; 30 March 2020, 14:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

Yes. The post WWI hyperinflation.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by reddog View Post
            Yeah, but was this in some nice village/small town or somewhere like the area around Frankfurt HB? (the only place in the world where I have seen someone openly smoking crack in the street)

I live in Zurich, Switzerland(I realise that isn't Germany), went to a railway station supermarket last night, and no one was obeying niceties like waiting at the end aisles, but I know the people in some nice village would be doing that (just as they would in some nice village in the UK)
            I remember Platzspitz in Zürich...

I think you'll find that customers and the set-up in most supermarkets in both the UK and Germany are very similar at the moment. Germany also has idiots not following the stay at home, some towns along the Rhein at the weekend had problems with visitors and the Odenwald, near where I live, had a large influx of people catching the rays, idiots (the police report was quite interesting on the amount of motorcyclists and car drivers stopped for speeding)
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              I remember Platzspitz in Zürich...

I think you'll find that customers and the set-up in most supermarkets in both the UK and Germany are very similar at the moment. Germany also has idiots not following the stay at home, some towns along the Rhein at the weekend had problems with visitors and the Odenwald, near where I live, had a large influx of people catching the rays, idiots (the police report was quite interesting on the amount of motorcyclists and car drivers stopped for speeding)
              I may have been unlucky as the Supermarkets are closed on a Sunday, so a lot of people end up in railway Supermarkets which stay open, I thought I was going at a quiet time just before they closed, obviously quite paranoid about CORONA, it actually felt like some people were actively trying their best to get as close as possible!

We do have hand sanitiser at the door in Switzerland - and the bigger supermarket I use have a ticketing system.

Comment

Originally posted by reddog View Post
                I may have been unlucky as the Supermarkets are closed on a Sunday, so a lot of people end up in railway Supermarkets which stay open, I thought I was going at a quiet time just before they closed, obviously quite paranoid about CORONA, it actually felt like some people were actively trying their best to get as close as possible!

We do have hand sanitiser at the door in Switzerland - and the bigger supermarket I use have a ticketing system.
                They're closed on Sundays in Germany too with only railway stations ans airport ones open. Don't go to them as they tend to be full of idiots, the Bahnhofmission crowd, care in the community members and just plain ******* weirdos...

Comment

Working...
                X