• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Comparisons shopping in the supermarket - Germany / UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comparisons shopping in the supermarket - Germany / UK

Tell me what it is like when you go to the supermarket? Are you guys seeing the same behaviour?

Was surprised how much social attitudes changed in the space of a week. Yesterday be like:

1) People waited at the bottom of the aisle until I was finished.

2) The checkout - no cash, only contactless.

3) Plastic shield, like a UK off license, erected around the checkout.

4) A number of customers / staff using surgical gloves.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

You know some gammonface will bring up the war in this thread

(PS: ok now I did it)

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

That's OK, we know you're a complete bell-end so we're letting you off just this once...
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

1) People waited in well spaced queues, the floor has been marked with tape to indicate the correct distancing. People keeping a good distance apart whilst browsing the aisles.

2) Contactless payments are pretty much the norm anyway. Didn't notice if they have stopped accepting cash. Haven't seen anyone pay cash for their supermarket shop for ages!

3) No, shield. Seems like a good idea.

4) Yes, a number of staff/customers with PPE.

5) "Security" on the door to the supermarket to limit the number people in the shop at any one time.

A plus point is that most things are in stock, there's "rationing" ( i.e. one pack of loo-roll per purchase ) on a few items.

Our local supermarket has reduced it's opening hours in-order to allow more time to re-stock. It's only open 7:00am-8:00pm 7 days a week now. Which caught me out the first time when I wandered down at 10:30pm to grab a snack for supper.

The small & independent food shops in the village are all well stocked. Most are limiting the number of customers into the store at any one time. For example the butchers only allows 3 customers in at a time.

So all-in-all it looks like in my area people are taking it seriously, talking to friends in other parts of the country it's pretty much the same picture.

I'm sure you can go onto social media if you wish and find some counter-examples and then try and imply that they are indicative of the situation in the entire country.

Comment

In Germany they say "ze sausages", we say "the sausages".

Comment

Yup - the love affair of cash in this country isn't going away anytime soon. Try using your card in a bier garten, the death stares will actually kill you.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Yup - the love affair of cash in this country isn't going away anytime soon. Try using your card in a bier garten, the death stares will actually kill you.
              Being able to use contactless to buy beer in the pub has been one of the greatest developments in the last 10 years.

Comment

Ye

Yes to all four, plus disinfectant on entry and exit, and limiting numbers allowed in.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

its alright we know you miss the old days rounding people up.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    In Germany they say "ze sausages", we say "the sausages".
                    No they don't
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X