• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coronavirus: Virgin Atlantic to seek bailout in coming days

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyson is the largest farmer in the UK.

That's not relevant to this thread ... but then again most of the posts on CUk are irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Man of the people, sponsor of the Tory party - no conflict of interest whatsoever.

James Dyson buys £43m penthouse in Singapore

History will look back at this time and struggle to reconcile how the serfs accepted the divided between the ultra rich and the poor self-employed having to wait 10-weeks for their grant money.
      If he's earned it, I don't give a flying tulip how he wants to spend it. It's not my decision, and thankfully, for now at least, it's not your decision either. And while you're holed up in Germanyland there's a very good chance it never will be.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post

That's not relevant to this thread ... but then again most of the posts on CUk are irrelevant.
        Really? No, genuinely, really? I know he has some land, but more than the Royals, are you absolutely sure?
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
          If he's earned it, I don't give a flying tulip how he wants to spend it. It's not my decision, and thankfully, for now at least, it's not your decision either. And while you're holed up in Germanyland there's a very good chance it never will be.
          That's not the point. The point is how he is using his wealth to influence government decisions. That should be your concern. That should be everyones concern. Now is not the time for politics, now is the time to avoid becoming Italy Mk II. Unlimited hubris by government will hurt far many more than it saves.

UK ministers under fire over ventilator delays

Boris Johnson’s government came under fire on Friday for missing opportunities to acquire more medical ventilators through equipment suppliers and the EU, even as the British prime minister himself tested positive for coronavirus.

Mr Johnson is self-isolating in Downing Street with only mild symptoms and will continue to the lead the government. Health secretary Matt Hancock also tested positive, while Chris Witty, the chief medical officer, is confined to home after showing symptoms consistent with the virus.

The number of people in the UK testing positive rose by 2,885 to 14,579 while the number of deaths climbed by 181 to 759. The rates of increase suggest Britain is on a similar trajectory to Italy and Spain, the worst-hit countries in Europe, which recorded 969 and 769 deaths on Friday alone, the deadliest day so far.

Ministers say 8,000 ventilators under order should be available for NH use over the next few weeks. The British health service already has access to more than 8,000 ventilators and a total of 30,000 are required.

Several companies have complained that offers were not taken up to provide some of the additional machines needed to save the lives of people with acute respiratory difficulties caused by Covid-19.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Maybe if he doesn't get it, he'll sue the government again...

Virgin Trains takes government to court over West Coast route | Business | The Guardian

NHS pays out after Virgin threatens to sue after losing out on contract

Tubular Bells wasn't a bad album though....
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

This guy has fallen in my estimations so hard in the past 5 years.

He came to the Cayman Islands 3 years or so ago, managed to get bitten by a stingray at Stingray city; then walked into a glass door which is REALLY obvious and smashed his face in.

Branson’s visit: three stitches and a stingray ‘bite’ - Cayman Compass

2 years or so later, there was a vicious deadly hurricane (Irma?) ripping through Necker Island and beyond. He basically invited his workers in (at the very last minute after public surprise) and left all the rest of the island populace to basically face a strong chance of death - when he could have sheltered at least 90 people . (in the Caribbean in a hurricane EVERYONE is expected to house people if your building is hurricane proof and above sea level, its just a unwritten law).

He's sued the state for the trains , did something dodgy with the NHS if I remember correctly, and now he wants to dip into the public purse for his airline. GTFO.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                Really? No, genuinely, really? I know he has some land, but more than the Royals, are you absolutely sure?
                I guess it depends on how you measure largest - is it in acres, turn over, blah blah

Dyson farming empire now worth more than GBP500m - Farmers Weekly
                Last edited by ladymuck; 28 March 2020, 14:37.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post

The first guy to use the prototype Dyson ventilator was taken from his house - on Wednesday looking done for, but he's been on the Dyson for a few days now, and is picking up nicely!
                  Last edited by Scoobos; 28 March 2020, 14:24. Reason: added i'll get me coat.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
                    The first guy to use the prototype Dyson ventilator was taken from his house - on Wednesday looking done for, but he's been on the Dyson for a few days now, and is picking up nicely,
                    Although Dyson say they have orders for 10,000 ventilators, the government have said that they might not be bought. They did place an order with GTech for 30,000 but cancelled it

Worcester's Gtech told not to produce much-needed ventilators by the government, chief executive says | Worcester News

Originally posted by Some government person
                    But the prime minister’s spokesman said all manufacturers turning their efforts to making ventilators must pass tests from expert clinicians and health regulators before purchases are made.“New orders are all dependent on machines passing regulatory tests; this is the case with Dyson,” he said.
                    “Their machines must meet the necessary safety and regulatory standards - if they do not, they will not be brought or rolled out to hospitals.”
                    It has, however, ordered 8,000 additional ventilators from elsewhere to boost the stock of 8,000 already available to the health service.
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
                      The first guy to use the prototype Dyson ventilator was taken from his house - on Wednesday looking done for, but he's been on the Dyson for a few days now, and is picking up nicely!
                      Mebbe you should have put it in the jokes thread so the hard of thinking didn't take you seriously

Comment

Working...
                      X