• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to furlough?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to furlough?

Just looking at HM Govs covid furlough scheme. Could be a plan especially if you are benched, want to keep the money in the company and are sitting around at home self isolated and waiting for that elusive contract to come along? I was thinking of furloughing the wife but then realized minimum period is only 3 weeks so you could furlough yourself as well.

So basically get in contact with the accountant to agree it, they rejig the payroll, you do all the bits regarding notifying your staff they are furloughed, you take a 20% paye cut and then enjoy sitting around at home doing what you want/trying to find the next contract. When that contract comes along you take yourself off furlough; could leave the wife on furlough until the contract works out and money is rolling in again.

I thought being the village idiot was a full time job? No furlough for you.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I thought being the village idiot was a full time job? No furlough for you.
      It does appear that some people are looking to put an HMRC target on their backs. I say let 'em crack on ... it'll keep HMRC busy and they won't have the need to look at anyone else. Let them have the low lying fruit
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        It does appear that some people are looking to put an HMRC target on their backs. I say let 'em crack on ... it'll keep HMRC busy and they won't have the need to look at anyone else. Let them have the low lying fruit

And lets face it, the low hanging fruit is all they want.

Comment

Originally posted by backagain View Post
          Just looking at HM Govs covid furlough scheme. Could be a plan especially if you are benched, want to keep the money in the company and are sitting around at home self isolated and waiting for that elusive contract to come along? I was thinking of furloughing the wife but then realized minimum period is only 3 weeks so you could furlough yourself as well.

So basically get in contact with the accountant to agree it, they rejig the payroll, you do all the bits regarding notifying your staff they are furloughed, you take a 20% paye cut and then enjoy sitting around at home doing what you want/trying to find the next contract. When that contract comes along you take yourself off furlough; could leave the wife on furlough until the contract works out and money is rolling in again.
          Sure, go on furlough, thus admitting you are an employee (which you are not as a Director) and then enjoy the IR35 fallout

Comment

Originally posted by Jase View Post
            Sure, go on furlough, thus admitting you are an employee (which you are not as a Director) and then enjoy the IR35 fallout
            Jesus ******* wept. Its just getting worse.

Like herding cats.. But with clueless morons instead.

I think we need to frame this one for posterity.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Jesus ******* wept.

I heard he was quite a cheerful, upbeat fellow

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                I heard he was quite a cheerful, upbeat fellow

Not sure why. He was a very naughty boy from what I heard.

Comment

Can Directors of a business furlough?

The guidance is silent on this but Ben Kerry from HMRC confirmed this morning that a director can do so provided they were paid via PAYE as at 28 Feb 2020. Company Directors can complete their statutory duties, even if furloughed. This is the only work allowed.

Found this on Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme – Key Questions Answered - Stephens Scown

Comment

Good lord, I bet some of these posters still believe this is a big conspiracy.
                    Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Working...
                    X