• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Goodbye to contracting...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I am shortly to finish what will be, I think, my last ever contract role. (Been offered a perm role fairly close to home). What a really strange feeling. Do I have to leave the forum?
    I'd hope not! But seriously, I wish you better luck than me - I tried that path and lasted around 12 months before I became so frustrated I couldn't continue !

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      No, you're welcome to hang around. There's many on here who haven't been genuine contractors for years (if ever). At least you've got experience.
      Ace. Will do then. Specially if Cojak is perm (I didn't know that!!)

19 years. I am not sure how I will hack perm (appraisals....jaysus).
      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

(appraisals....jaysus).
        That's why I could never go permanent - the only appraisal I care about is the fact I'm still being paid.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Congrats on the new role. Good to have something in these troubling times.
          It is, thank you. Unless they pull it..
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            That's why I could never go permanent - the only appraisal I care about is the fact I'm still being paid.
            It has always disgusted me, too. This will be a big mental transition
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Ace. Will do then. Specially if Cojak is perm (I didn't know that!!)

19 years. I am not sure how I will hack perm (appraisals....jaysus).

depends on the employer.

16 years on the dark side but enjoying the current employer.

My appraisal was the other day actually, but my Boss is a nice bloke and it was very pleasant. I might even get some more training.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                depends on the employer.

My appraisal was the other day actually, but my Boss is a nice bloke and it was very pleasant. I might even get some more training.
                Like how to cycle faster?

Comment

Do I have to leave the forum?
                  They haven't chucked out us retired contractor old farts yet.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    They haven't chucked out us retired contractor old farts yet.
                    WXogS.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    depends on the employer.

This.

The appraisals over the last 14 years of what passed for my career were pretty meaningless for me & a succession of supervisors.

In essence, I copied what we'd said the previous year, he copied what he'd said the previous year, we jiggled the words about a bit to confuse Human Remains, and that was it.

No major trauma.

However I suspect that others were less fortunate where greasy pole climbing superiors were doing the appraisal.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 30 March 2020, 11:48.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I am shortly to finish what will be, I think, my last ever contract role. (Been offered a perm role fairly close to home). What a really strange feeling. Do I have to leave the forum?
                      If you're anything like me, you immediately* miss contracting and bin the forum off because it reminds you too much of the good times. Learnt a lot about myself that year.

*I remember the moment I thought "I'm making a mistake". It was signing the contract which included holiday entitlement and all that crap.

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      I remember sitting in a 1:1 appraisal meeting thing as a 21 year old. My boss asked me what I wanted to do next, and like the time before I said "Well, I just want to get up to [Next Grade] know what I'd need to do to get some more money". He immediately retorted with "Jesus Dan, it's not always about the money and promotion you know". I think that was another defining moment in my life as I sat there thinking "Well, it really is"
                      Last edited by vwdan; 30 March 2020, 11:59.

Comment

Working...
                      X