• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Might CV actually offer a boom for contractors longer term?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    Is there really going to be a change? CV is just halting current business. An intermission. When it's all over, won't everybody just revert to what they were doing before?
    Depends how long it lasts. The last financial crisis and recession changed the structure of the economy. There's no reason to think this looming recession will be any different - it's certainly on a much grander scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
      Is there really going to be a change? CV is just halting current business. An intermission. When it's all over, won't everybody just revert to what they were doing before?
      Well a huge number of businesses have tried to start online and delivery options, and trade-customer, quite clumsily.
      THe paradigm of "you can't work from home" may be fundamentally shifted.

Banks have all this CBI stuff to figure out.

I dunno, more I'm just thinking of all the businesses who rushed to drop staff and then need good people really quickly. THAT is surely the main service we provide?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I dunno, more I'm just thinking of all the businesses who rushed to drop staff and then need good people really quickly. THAT is surely the main service we provide?
        The devil is in the detail dear boy
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

We've all been doom and gloom about CV being the nail in the IR35 lid of contracting's coffin.

But think about it, many companies are laying off workforce or will be. They are trying to make huge differences to how they work, and after CV they will again have to adjust very quickly with a depleted workforce.

I wonder if that's an opportunity for contractors to provide temporary work before companies are confident to re-hire permanent staff, 6/9/12 months down the line?
          How does that saying go? "When the going gets tough, the weird turn pro"
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

We've all been doom and gloom about CV being the nail in the IR35 lid of contracting's coffin.

But think about it, many companies are laying off workforce or will be. They are trying to make huge differences to how they work, and after CV they will again have to adjust very quickly with a depleted workforce.

I wonder if that's an opportunity for contractors to provide temporary work before companies are confident to re-hire permanent staff, 6/9/12 months down the line?
            I hope you are right. I was saying to agents and umbrella companies that I thought the political pressure to suspend IR35 was mounting and the government would cave - surprisingly, proved to be true. Optimism is not always misplaced.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              How does that saying go? "When the going gets tough, the weird turn pro"

upvoted and stolen
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                upvoted and stolen
                Yes, it tickled my bits too
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                X