• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PING: Lost It

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There’s still hope.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
      There’s still hope.
      For my £20 - hopefully

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        For my £20 - hopefully

I'm guessing you're hoping to not have to repay rather than you being foolish enough to lend

Comment

Very touched by the concern.. Thanks.

First no I don't live alone, there are dozens in my head...

And again I'm a lucky boy...

Yes I got it. I had a raging temp of 38 and above degrees for a day, I have a real life clinical thermometer made by Johnsons that I know to be accurate. I also had the head aches to match. I didn't take anything other than my normal cancer meds but found them hard to keep down. No point taking paracetamol because your body raises temp to fever pitch to help kill the bug, Paracetamol lowers your temp...

Then I had the cough, that cough is pretty horrible because you also finish up with a sore throat like you have been gargling with chunks of granite shavings, I coughed so much I managed to get a nose bleed once, not sure how that happened... But the sore throat means you can't talk, or really swallow food so I was on the "Soup" diet for a day or so. We only had Tomato soup in because of all the panic buying. So eventually moved on to gravy with bread soaked soldiers. It's food, of a kind. Scrambled egg too. Lots of cold milk. Really struggled with the meds during that stage.

Then I had the sleeps. Spent almost 20 hours asleep, then another day of falling asleep every time I sat down to watch You Tube, some really confusing programs on that thing when you fall asleep and wake occasionally. I was only waking for the loo, getting there on legs like jelly was a challenge but again it's the body's natural defence mechanism.

Then the aches. I'm 63 anyway, I've never really been kind to my body, coal mines, riding motorcycles all year no matter what the weather, arthritis, bike racing, glider flying, knackered knees all pale into insignificance when the aches start. Even hurts to breath but that's kind of essential? So I don't really know if I hurt more during this stage because my body is wearing out or whether that level of hurt is normal. Hope it was hurting more because of it in a way. I'm already on pretty heavy pain relief so there wasn't really anything I could take for that. Without making myself constipated.

Then finally I completely lost my sense of taste. And smell, appetite too. But again you have to feed the body to fight the bug so I just ate peppermint Aero's by the block and my daughter made me some garlic flavoured potato things. I hate garlic BTW because it always repeats on me. So I was belching garlic flavoured clumps of air for a while. That part is slowly coming back, I still don't have full sense of taste yet.

And finally you don't seem to just get this, it goes away and everything is fine. I have been absolutely knackered, had no interest in much at all, if I do anything I soon have to stop because I'm tiring really quickly. Breathing gets heavy, the usual signs. It's slowly getting back to where it was. No contact with my GP, my wife knew to call for help if I got worse.

And then last frigging Friday we got a letter from HMG telling me I should consider myself to be on the at risk register and Waitrose and Sainsbury's sent my daughter messages (as I had put her email down to respond in case I couldn't) that I was on the priority list for deliveries. Nice of them but we had been using the local shops for everything we needed. She still stuck orders in though, you never know.

Please keep safe people, you really don't want this bug. Stay the heck at home. Have to keep remembering that not everyone will go the whole hog with this, it effects men more than women, of a certain age range more or less, and if you have underlying conditions it's a bit more risky, we all know that. Do what you can to lower the risk is my advice.

So yesterday when my neighbour of 88 collapsed on hearing her daughters husband had died and I was called by a neighbour... I had to decide if it was safe for her for me to help out. But she was on her back in the garden so what do you do? I went around, collared her dog and got her lifted up, into her chair and left wifey there to look after her until the 111 service answered. Tricky one really.

When can I have my £20 back? Need some more Aero's.
          Last edited by Lost It; 8 April 2020, 09:08.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Last seen Yesterday 15:10 Doesn't post every day anyway.
            I'll try to in future. Promise.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
              I'll try to in future. Promise.

Glad to hear you're surviving. Haven't had a mint Aero in years!

(from a safe distance)
              Last edited by ladymuck; 8 April 2020, 09:30.

Comment

cheers for updating us, glad you are feeling better!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Take care Lost It, good to hear from you
                  We got the Oystons out like we said we would

Comment

Good grief.... Have I got a story for you lot...

So I got over the C19, took a little contract on building a socking great warehouse up in Corby to store all the PPE bought in (back/0 from China ready for the 2nd wave of C19..

Finished the contract, had a few weeks doing not much at all watching my money disappear, because no help at all from the government..

Then Tuesday, 1st of September I think it was, I was suffering the worst dose of constipation ever, it was so bad my wife called me an ambulance (bit upset, I always thought I was more of a Jaguar) and they came and took me in..

And I don't remember much after that until a guy came up to me and said pretty much "What's the difference between you staying in the bed the rest of your life or getting up and walking around?" I didn't have an effing clue what he was talking about.

Then someone who I presume was my surgeon walked up to me with a whole crowd of people and said "This is a conversation I never thought I was ever going to have" which kind of shook me a bit because, well, I wasn't really aware of what had been happening.

In a nutshell. My Bowel had exploded just above where the poo comes out of your bum, and I had been merrily filling the space up with poo for quite some time. Then the fun started, they had to cut me open from base of diaphragm to just above my nuts pretty much, presumably jetwash all the crap out, cut out the rest of my bowel.

But in between times, I was in a coma for 24 days... And I didn't know that when you are in a coma your body "eats" your muscle mass away until it can't eat any more. So this is all your muscle, heart, arms, legs, throat, tongue, you name it. Kind of messes your brain up too.
                    I got that thing where all your organs start to die, in fact, one thing I do recall, I saw my daughter and her mum stood by the side of the bed saying Goodbye to me, and I remember clear as day thinking "Why are they saying goodbye? I'm going nowhere until I've met my grandchild". My daughter was pregnant you see... But she lost it because of the stress of me having my kidneys fail, my liver almost giving up etc. etc.

Anyway they had given up on me because I wouldn't wake up apparently (please understand my actual thought processes are confused still) and they were about to fit me up with a scan to see if there was any brain activity (I think they'd struggle to find that on a good day if I'm honest), I had told my family if I was ever in a PVS to just turn me off, it was close... and apparently when they were coming for me to take me for the scan I stared directly at the nurse and said "Tea!". I remember even though she was fully masked up the look on her face above the mask, she disappeared and next thing there were nurses, doctors, a mexican digging a trench, my daughter and her boyfriend feeding me ice cream etc... Lots of weird dreams. Didn't get my tea...

So in a nutshell I lost 17 kg of body mass, so what this guy at the start was trying to get me to do was learn how to walk. Move my arms, anything to get my muscles working. I couldn't even climb out of bed

Comment

Welcome back!

Comment

Working...
                      X