• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Frozen U.K. Home Market Leaves Buyers Wondering Where to Go

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    My first mortgage was interest only with an endowment policy. Those dropped out of favour pretty sharpish.
    It's 17 years since I took out a mortgage. At the time, there were interest-only mortgages available where you didn't have to provide any means of paying off the capital (not even a crappy endowment). It was also at a time when "self-cert" was all the rage. Obviously, none of this ended well.

Clearly, the lending is a bit more responsible these days, although I shudder when I see on the likes of Location, Location how much people are borrowing.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Clearly, the lending is a bit more responsible these days, although I shudder when I see on the likes of Location, Location how much people are borrowing.
      The housing market is looking so bad, even the TV shows are being downsized!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
        It's 17 years since I took out a mortgage. At the time, there were interest-only mortgages available where you didn't have to provide any means of paying off the capital (not even a crappy endowment). It was also at a time when "self-cert" was all the rage. Obviously, none of this ended well.

That's what I had - a self cert interest only mortgage. The advisor got me to take out the endowment (probably because he got a nice commission) although it wasn't a requirement at the time.

I got rid of it once the initial term was over and moved onto more normal mortgages.

The best one I had, on my last place before I sold up and moved to the big smoke, was with Barclays / Woolwich and was an offset base rate tracker. I see they're offering those again now.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          WTF was he doing splitting the chain into 2 bits.
          I've owned four houses. On each occasion I moved into rented after sale. I've only been part of the chain, when I've been at the bottom end. It gives a bit of leverage, and a chance to get to know the new area.

Estate agents love chains because they get all their commission in one go. The shorter the chain, the better for the people buying/selling.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            With nowhere to live until then....
            Not sure where he lives but there was a story yesterday of Airbnb pads flooding onto the rental market. I don't think finding a rental is a problem. Obviously a bit of a ballache short term but sitting pretty medium term.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              That's what I had - a self cert interest only mortgage. The advisor got me to take out the endowment (probably because he got a nice commission) although it wasn't a requirement at the time.

I got rid of it once the initial term was over and moved onto more normal mortgages.

The best one I had, on my last place before I sold up and moved to the big smoke, was with Barclays / Woolwich and was an offset base rate tracker. I see they're offering those again now.
              Thank god all that self cert mortgage nonsense ended in 2008. It took a proper global credit crunch to enable that. Bankers will dream up any nonsense to keep pumping up the house prices.
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                Thank god all that self cert mortgage nonsense ended in 2008. It took a proper global credit crunch to enable that. Bankers will dream up any nonsense to keep pumping up the house prices.
                you blame the bankers.... but:

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

PS: You think this isn't happening right now!!

Oh to be a fly on the wall right now of Deutsche - everyone at the minute is trying to unload their next to worthless MBS products.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                  X