• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coronovirus - Do You Think Your Government is Doing a Good Job?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Anyone who voted for this government shouldn't have a right to complain - you were warned before the last election that this Tory party were incompetent and only in it for themselves and their donors. They are a puppet government, fronted by Boris, but driven by Cummings - why are you surprised by any actions they are taking?

So, if all those who voted Tory at the last GE can STFU, let's see what is left to be said
    Free broadband!!!! Terrorist support!!! Marxist state!!! Diane Abbott dealing with the Coronavirus crisis!!!!
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Doesn't manage need for intubation.
      Doesn't manage need for higher fractional inspired oxygen%.
      Fire risk?
      Engineering challenge.
      Oxygen supply chain?
      Yep, software developers need to leave this to the experts.
      The problem with software developers building ventilators is:

1. they'll try to do it agile.
      2. they'll treat it like an MVP, using a startup / not afraid to fail mentality.
      3. they'll make dangerous assumptions and ignore critical requirements
      4. they'll kill us all

No joke, but a couple of weeks ago I saw a bunch of IT engineers posting on LinkedIn scrambling to set up a virtual team with a Slack group and Git repository to solve the ventilator problem. I had to admire their willingness to help, but at the same time I was confused as to why they were trying to build a ventilator using code. I imagine they've now set up a whole cloud infrastructure in AWS with docker, kubernetes, CI/CD and everything.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

However, Mark, are the government supposed to take action based on social media posts from mainland China instead? I've seen some of the videos and it looks like the CCP have used the outbreak as an excuse to make some dissidents disappear. Given we're a free country (allegedly) I'm not sure what action could be taken based on that. Yes, lockdown. But, and as Sir Mix-a-Lot said it's a big but.... China is a communist state. Going to complete lockdown there is easier because people aren't used to the same freedoms anyway. You've got idiots here and in America that think the rules don't apply to them and are having parties or playing football in parks still.
        My take was we should have stopped incoming flights from China early, apart from repatriation, then done the same for each countries outbreak.

Instead, flights coming from all over, no simple checks on entry, Khan saying the tube was perfectly safe, no testing, lack of protective gear for the NHS, ventilator production dished out with inevitable production delay to Dyson etc. etc.

Mixed messages were then given by government, take it on the chin, herd immunity, shaking hands with Corona victims (a proven BJ lie BTW), BJs Dad saying he was not going to be stopped going to the pub... ad infinitum.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people in this country that only consume MM, what their mate tells them etc. Free thinking is not generally encouraged.

No wonder a lot thought it was all a big fuss sbout nothing.

Conversley, I started worrying end of January, especially as my parents were off to NZ, via Hong Kong.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Someone is entirely unfamiliar with the precepts of democracy.

ooh... precepts. Reminds me, what happened to our resident historian Gibbon. Is he still about?
          So you voted for them in December, even though they'd been lying out of their @rses for years, and now you're complaining about them lying?

Seems people are happy when the government (irrespective of the colour rosette they are wearing) are lying and the lies support their own views, but when the lies have an impact of their lies, suddenly the lying is bad.

The clue chaps is in the word 'politics' ....
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Free broadband!!!! Terrorist support!!! Marxist state!!! Diane Abbott dealing with the Coronavirus crisis!!!!
            Again, for the hard of reading, I'm not complaining about the government or advocating that a Labour/Corbyn government would be any better.

And, again for the hard of reading, I didn't vote Labour in December, and have never in all my voting years voted Labour.

I'm calling out Tory voters who are criticizing the Tories for acting how Tories act....like somehow, this is all a shock to them If you/they don't like the way they act you/they should have voted differently. If you voted Tory and are happy now, then fair doos
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Reading about how we're struggling to get test kits?

You'd think we'd be able to somehow mobilise the entire resources of the UK just for a few days to build the test facilities and kits needed rather relying on other countries. We could be in and out of this mess in a few weeks.

Instead we'll just sit here watching our jobs disappear and pensions become worthless whilst the Government fumbles around over a video conference.

Comment

Originally posted by SeededLoaf View Post

You'd think we'd be able to somehow mobilise the entire resources of the UK just for a few days to build the test facilities and kits needed rather relying on other countries. We could be in and out of this mess in a few weeks.

Instead we'll just sit here watching our jobs disappear and pensions become worthless whilst the Government fumbles around over a video conference.

Interesting thread on this just here:-

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/12...974750720?s=20

An eye opener, to say the least.

Unbelievable they were trying to put the economy first, but have ended damaging it far more than if they had done the right things in the first place.

Irony in its purest form
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

You only have to look at the issues around testing and the provision of protective equipment to see this is being handled badly.

Comment

Very much with AtW on this one. You cannot trust anything offical that comes out of China. They're funding the WHO so you cannot trust them either.
                    WHO | Notice of Assessment by Member State for the Biennium 2020-2021

China: 57,439,805
                    USA: 115,766,922
                    UK: 21,851,530
                    Germany: 29,138,560
                    France: 21,181,675
                    India: 3,990,405
                    Russia: 11,507,095
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                      Again, for the hard of reading, I'm not complaining about the government or advocating that a Labour/Corbyn government would be any better.
                      To be fair though, taking the recent election out of it - a Labour government would have had a better social support system, I don't think many can question that they do love to spend on public services and austerity has made a huge difference. You could argue, of course, that they wouldn't because we've only just had an election and its not enough time to do anything.

That said, unintentionally ever the hypocrite, I don't think now is the time to be talking politics, I think we need unity - this is above politics and, thankfully, I'm not seeing anyone playing games with it. Doesnt matter to me whether its left/right whatever - I was just dissapointed with the way we dealt with it, given we did, have plenty of time to prepare compared to others. Thankfully we've not done a Trump, but Boris reacted closer to Trump than I'm comfortable with.

I'm still not comfortable with Heathrow being open and no on entry quarantine or testing, nor the massive Trump'esque attempt to start a misinformation campaign of how things that happened, didnt etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X