• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coronovirus - Do You Think Your Government is Doing a Good Job?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    If I lose, I will go bankrupt.....
    You really should have used Old Greg’s Dutch Antilles scheme
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      If I lose, I will go bankrupt.....
      Bankruptcy may be better than a never ending battle with HMRC.

Also, beware of the "sunk cost" fallacy. Just because you've already spent 12 years fighting them, doesn't mean you've got nothing more to lose by carrying on. You only get one life.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
        Bankruptcy may be better than a never ending battle with HMRC.

Also, beware of the "sunk cost" fallacy. Just because you've already spent 12 years fighting them, doesn't mean you've got nothing more to lose by carrying on. You only get one life.
        WHS BP mate. If its making you lose appetite for life, it's serious. Mental health is worth more than physical health , to me - having been through it from sickness to recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          The thing is these schemes were endorsed by HMRC and various senior legal professionals, at the time, as legit.
          In what regards did HMRC endorse the schemes?
          Last edited by Paralytic; 2 April 2020, 12:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
            In what regards did HMRC vendors the schemes?
            The government has backed down on original time frame for loan charge compliance giving taxpayers who signed up to schemes approved by HMRC before 2015 greater leniency and offering five-year time to pay arrangements
            Government waters down loan charge rules | Accountancy Daily

Hence why the retrospective taxation is wrong, in fact it is breaking rules stated in the Magna Carta, AFAIK.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I'm cross posting a bit here, but think this answers the question from my view:

Coronavirus outbreak FAQs: what you can and can't do - GOV.UK

They are saying only key workers to work at certain points, but if you read that, it clearly says - No, if you cant work from home, go to work on non essential tasks. (5 and 6 in the link above)

That's typical of the management of this whole thing though. I'd rather all (bar key workers).

Guidance for employers and businesses on coronavirus (COVID-19) - GOV.UK
              What to do if someone develops Covid-19 symptoms on site : - if you are with someone sick at work, if you help them - don't go home, just wash yer hands and get back to work, then go home and infect your family.

Oh and if you go home, there's no obligation for your employer to pay you sick pay or treat you compassionately: (sick pay, "what to do if an employee needs time off to look after someone" "certification" ).

That's just one story to the public and one to employers.

I know of 1 large employer already who's taking money, furloughing staff and reducing their salary by 15% and making them sign , its all legal. Either write off a 15% reduction in benefits and salary , to get furloughed for the 80% - or get fired. Meanwhile the company is doing better than its done in a long time due to increased sales and reduced costs!

Crackerjack:

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                You really should have used Old Greg’s Dutch Antilles scheme
                'Scheme' is such an ugly word.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cretin Hancock View Post
                  We probably have one of the strongest understandings of the supply chain of anywhere in the world because of the preparations we did for a no-deal Brexit, and we keep them constantly under review.
                  This is a totally different situation, the supply chain doesn't exist anymore and every one is after the same things. If you are so ready why are you so much in the deep do do?
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Contrast and compare, you could only start applying on Monday...

Authorities in Germany have so far received 1.1 million applications for “immediate financial help” from self-employed and small businesses.One billion euros has already been paid to them and a total of 1.8 billion euros worth of payments has been approved, and is due to be received any day.

Most payments are going to restaurants, hairdressers and cosmetic salons and business consultants, far less to craftspeople and construction workers, who are still able to work as long as they can keep the physical distancing rules.

Self-employed people have turned to social media to express their amazement at how unbureaucratic the access to the funds has been, just days after the measures were passed as emergency legislation in Germany’s parliament, the Bundestag.

Freelancers, self-employed and small companies are eligible for the funds. Those with up to five workers can get a one-off payment of 9,000 euros, for businesses with up to 10 workers, it’s 15,000 euros.The monies do not have to be paid back.
                    Haven't put my one in yet though :-)
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                      In what regards did HMRC endorse the schemes?
                      They knew about them in 2000. And left them open until 2008. Then closed retrospectively.

Loan schemes were worse. HMRC knew about them in 1999. Not closed until 2017.

Oddly this thread has cheered me up. It has reminded me to fight HMRC with every breath I can.

HMRC are such *****s. The latest attack on contractors, even delayed until 2021, is just obscene. At least I saw the writing on the wall - I got out last year. Lovely permie job - got a huge bonus on Tuesday too! Big pension contributions. I negotiated while I had the upper hand. Now my employer is picking up permies really cheap.

Comment

Working...
                      X