• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coronovirus - Do You Think Your Government is Doing a Good Job?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coronovirus - Do You Think Your Government is Doing a Good Job?

I know this is General, but as their is nowhere else suitable, so I'll post it here .

Firstly, let me be very clear, I don't have a football mentality towards any political parties, but I think our current government is doing a really tulip job.

I have been following this virus since mid January, mainly through social media from China.

Even right back then I could see this was being taken very seriously, looking at posts and videos from there, often being sent at extreme risk from the general population of Chinese.
    Back then all our politicians seemed very silent, virtually not a comment made.....

Very early March I was doing some work with someone who had daily contact with cabinet ministers, Hancock, Patel et all.
    Even back then they said, off the record, a virus tsunami was incoming, total UK lock down within 6 weeks etc.

In fact it worked out to be around 3 weeks before a lock down was started, of sorts .

I believe action should have been taken much, much, earlier especially to get the correct message through to our less engaged members of society.

I think that protecting the economy was the primary short term concern, rather than than immediately closing targeted flights in, thus protecting the population and the economy in the longer term etc.

What are your views?
    The Chunt of Chunts.

ah FFS! not another one! - gheez.

Comment

The UK isn't China. People here don't respond well to sudden government measures.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        The UK isn't China. People here don't respond well to sudden government measures.
        Everything was softly softly catchy monkey for a reason to avoid people reacting too badly (but the weekend trips to the national parks showed that things should probably have been done on the previous Friday rather than last Monday

As for doing things earlier it seems China wasn't 100% honest with the rest of the world...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          As for doing things earlier it seems China wasn't 100% honest with the rest of the world...
          They gave enough info - genetic sequence very early on, their actiosn were speaking louder than any words - building hospitals in 10 days, locking down massive London sized cities.

Plus why the **** anybody expected Communist party to be honest? There was enough info read between the lines, it's just nobody gave a fook hoping somebody else will do all the work (like it was with first SARS, MERS).

Fooking incompenent fooks who won't have stockpile if PPEs always ready for the unknown, testing equipment ready to roll out at moments notice - all that would have cost fook all compared to current crisis, and it's not like in PANDEMIC mode supply chains could have been expected to hold, especially as many of them are in China.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Well, that's extremely obvious, as we don't run a publicly stated dictatorship, hence my comment about acting earlier?

My take is that if the government had taken this seriously and restricted flights from China, late January, then Italy and other hotpots, as it developed, it may have had a greater effect?

Instead we did nothing and currently have a confused, half hearted approach which has done far more harm than good

As I said, they knew they were going to have a very major problem right at the beginning of March, but did virtually nothing at that stage.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Sorry Eek, our government was well aware, mid January, early Feb. If not, they should have been, seeing there was plenty of video evidence of what China were doing during that time.

The government, for sure, knew this was going to be a total UK pandemic, for sure, late February, early March.

They wasted their time and we are now suffering as a result and for much longer going forward.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

and HOW, pray tell, are you going to fix this?
                by wittering on here with all the other twats?

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  Sorry Eek, our government was well aware, mid January, early Feb. If not, they should have been, seeing there was plenty of video evidence of what China were doing during that time.

The government, for sure, knew this was going to be a total UK pandemic, for sure, late February, early March.

They wasted their time and we are now suffering as a result and for much longer going forward.
                  Much longer going forward? This is only fixed when everyone has had it and we hit herd immunity - which means you can't delay things or stop things from occurring you need to careful time everything so that as each batch of people get it you don't swamp the NHS.

And that requires a lot of very careful timing as doing thing early would just result in problems later.

But at this point I will leave you to it - this is probably an ideal opportunity to start a business so I'm going to make the most of that time.
                  Last edited by eek; 31 March 2020, 18:58.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                    and HOW, pray tell, are you going to fix this?
                    by wittering on here with all the other twats?
                    We are relying solely on you FLC
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X