• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

“Capacity to benefit quickly” approach

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Capacity to benefit quickly” approach

"In other suggestions that may prove controversial, the BMA’s guidance says:

Patients in ICU who do not improve or worsen after admission may have their treatment withdrawn under a new “capacity to benefit quickly” approach, and their place may be given to another patient thought likely to do better.

People working in vital services and industries such as the NHS, emergency services, utilities and telecoms may be deemed a priority for an ICU bed.

Patients with poor underlying health, such as a history of severe respiratory failure, are unlikely to go on to a ventilator or into ICU.

Rationing could become even tighter as the pandemic progresses, the document states. “Depending upon the nature of the pandemic, there may be a need during its progress to shift from one level of service rationing to a more or less severe one,”, it says."

Ventilators may be taken from stable patients for healthier ones, BMA says | Society | The Guardian

This gets better and better...

I suppose its better than only treating party members?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      I suppose its better than only treating party members?
      It's better, but nowhere near good enough - knowing how unprepared Nhs is for pandemic lockdown should have been done 2 weeks ago (instead of crazy herd immunity), even Trump now gets it.

Comment

Let us know if you're not worth saving!

Thank yourself you don't live in the catchment of this GP Surgery

Coronavirus: GP surgery apology over 'do not resuscitate' form - BBC News
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Government announces 7,000 new ventilators after agreeing to retain all 7,000 existing ventilators

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            "In other suggestions that may prove controversial, the BMA’s guidance says:

Patients in ICU who do not improve or worsen after admission may have their treatment withdrawn under a new “capacity to benefit quickly” approach, and their place may be given to another patient thought likely to do better.

People working in vital services and industries such as the NHS, emergency services, utilities and telecoms may be deemed a priority for an ICU bed.

Patients with poor underlying health, such as a history of severe respiratory failure, are unlikely to go on to a ventilator or into ICU.

Rationing could become even tighter as the pandemic progresses, the document states. “Depending upon the nature of the pandemic, there may be a need during its progress to shift from one level of service rationing to a more or less severe one,”, it says."

Ventilators may be taken from stable patients for healthier ones, BMA says | Society | The Guardian

This gets better and better...
            I have done some contract work around withdrawal of treatment clinical pathways. Current guidance is that the decision is made when ongoing treatment is not of overall benefit to the patient. I wonder if changing this is going to need a legal change so that doctors don't find themselves on a murder charge, or whether updating ethical guidance is sufficient. There is a distinct difference between not starting treatment and withdrawing treatment.

Comment

Only 30 new ventilators on order will arrive next week.

BBC.

No doubt Bojo will say there was a mistake in the email when ordering.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Only 30 new ventilators on order will arrive next week.

BBC.

No doubt Bojo will say there was a mistake in the email when ordering.
                This seems to be less of a problem now that O2 shortage is reported....

Comment

Working...
                X