• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Antibody tests

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I recall 48% of the population already have them.
    They only appear to be immune to one strain.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
      So Roche and all the others working on test and vaccines are being selfish in their approach, putting future profit by trying to be first to market ahead of a shared worldwide effort that puts the health of the people before the financial gain.
      Nope. There's a heck of a lot of collaboration and people donating their time and materials for free.

Big Pharma is a bit crap, but it's a lot better than the alternative. However, I hope you are finding your tinfoil hat comfortable.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
        They only appear to be immune to one strain.
        Coronavirus has mutated into more than 30 strains, say scientists in China | Science & Tech News | Sky News

"Game over man, game over."

A lot of work to be done for those devising accurate tests and vaccines if there are already more than 30 known strains out there.

Maybe we'll get lucky and it isn't mutating in a bad way, and continues to behave itself.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working vaccine will probably be worth trillion dollars

It might be the biggest export from China in them - also redeem them, so stakes are high and China is a country that won’t be limited by ethical rules in order to gain time, which is big money now.
          Last edited by AtW; 21 April 2020, 15:20.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Working vaccine will probably be worth trillion dollars

It might be the biggest export from China in them - also redeem them, so stakes are high and China is a country that won’t be limited by ethical rules in order to gain time, which is big money now.

Which is why many countries are competing to be first to market. Apparently 80 different vaccines being worked on worldwide. Oxford pumping their concoction into human guinea pigs (Poggle?) this Thursday. Rather them than me.

UK will ignore its own offering to save money by trying to buy it from China, and suffer the same global competition driven delays they have with fighting the international community over PPE.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

“ One of the pharma giants, Roche, claims its test have 100% sensitivity, meaning there is no chance it will wrongly tell someone they have had the illness, with 99.8% specificity, which raises the possibility a very small proportion of recovered patients will not be correctly identified.

Germany has so far ordered three million testing kits from Roche, while the US has also given it authorisation to be sold. It is one of several products currently being examined by Public Health England.

“We will be able to provide hundreds of thousands of antibody tests to the UK per week,” a spokesman for the company said.”

Mass antibody testing will need volunteer army to take blood samples

FFs, investigating Roche whist buying blindly from China

Comment

Mid-June and still feck all progress -

“ UK antibody test access stokes frustration and confusion

Consumers and doctors eager to understand who has immunity face uncertainty over testing and reliability”

“ There’s a turf war going on between test producers, and Public Health England has made it their fiefdom,” said Richard Tedder, visiting professor in medical virology at Imperial College London, who invented the HIV antibody test in the 1980s. “If a test is fit for purpose and available, you should let people use it.””

Germany, by contrast, has had a large-scale antibody testing programme in place since early April.

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

Comment

I have an antibody test but ive not used it.

Comment

Round 2:

Exclusive: 'Game-changing' coronavirus antibody test passes first major trials

Comment

Yeah but have you seen this?

Beware! Russia needs your vaccine! UK, US & Canada say hackers targeting Covid-19 research are ‘almost certainly’ Kremlin-linked — RT UK News
                      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                      X