• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coronavirus tracking app

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coronavirus tracking app

I'm worried to read about the new 'virus-tracing app' idea being floated around by BBC.

Coronavirus: UK considers virus-tracing app to ease lockdown

They've even put together animated educational material on the BBC News channel explaining how it would work. They've clearly spent a decent amount of time putting this together.

It seems like someone in government or PHE has been salivating over the mass surveillance system China has built to control and oppress its people, which has conveniently also helped them to control the virus spread through the integration of a similar app.

Now I know we're a democracy and these things are more difficult to implement here, but a crisis always seems like the perfect opportunity for governments to implement these things as the public gets scared and seeks protection.

Given how the last couple of weeks has seen our government use the tactic of gradually leaking incremental lockdown measures via the press, usually the very day before they are officially announced, I worry about where this may actually go.

It is even seen as a potential early exit strategy or lockdown loosening, giving those who use the app freedom to return to some sort of normality again, but under constant geo-location surveillance.

Does anyone think this may actually be approved in our country?

(Here's a link to the Oxford Uni paper on this: Quantifying SARS-CoV-2 transmission suggests epidemic control with digital contact tracing | Science)

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    I'm worried to read about the new 'virus-tracing app' idea being floated around by BBC.

They've even put together animated educational material on the BBC News channel explaining how it would work. They've clearly spent a decent amount of time putting this together.

It seems like someone in government or PHE has been salivating over the mass surveillance system China has built to control and oppress its people, which has conveniently also helped them to control the virus spread through the integration of a similar app.

Now I know we're a democracy and these things are more difficult to implement here, but a crisis always seems like the perfect opportunity for governments to implement these things as the public gets scared and seeks protection.

Given how the last couple of weeks has seen our government use the tactic of gradually leaking incremental lockdown measures via the press, usually the very day before they are officially announced, I worry about where this may actually go.

It is even seen as a potential early exit strategy or lockdown loosening, giving those who use the app freedom to return to some sort of normality again, but under constant geo-location surveillance.

(Here's a link to the Oxford Uni paper on this: Quantifying SARS-CoV-2 transmission suggests epidemic control with digital contact tracing | Science)
    Two things:

1. Unless you want to be called an idiot or some even nicer names like 'dumb *****', then I would forget about voicing alternative ideas on here about what's behind this whole situation
    2. Generally if the BBC think something is a good idea then it's a very bad idea.

Btw, yes, I think something similar will eventually be approved. People are scared just now & the easiest way to control someone is through fear.
    If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

I wasn't suggesting our government were up to no good, I think they genuinely are looking for ideas to get out of this mess and move forward, but the concern I have is about things like this becoming permanent. Last thing we need is to build a big surveillance system that could be re-purposed later on.

Comment

And you are not woried about 18 more months of current tulip?

The economy won't take it.

It will be totally voluntary - nobody will be forced to use that app, but only those with the app on at all times will be allowed to leave.

Basically it will be what Google is already doing, only you get your previous life back. Sounds like a fine tradeoff to me, those who won't install the app will get a free tinfoil hat.

Comment

You don’t think this is already in use to track your movements? They don’t need an app to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
            You don’t think this is already in use to track your movements? They don’t need an app to do it.
            Why build an app then?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              It will be totally voluntary - nobody will be forced to use that app, but only those with the app on at all times will be allowed to leave.

Basically it will be what Google is already doing, only you get your previous life back. Sounds like a fine tradeoff to me, those who won't install the app will get a free tinfoil hat.
              From the article:
              "But the academics say no-one should be forced to enrol - at least initially."

Comment

I wasn't suggesting our government were up to no good, I think they genuinely are looking for ideas to get out of this mess and move forward, but the concern I have is about things like this becoming permanent. Last thing we need is to build a big surveillance system that could be re-purposed later on.
                Are you smoking something?

The UK Government are broadcasting that GP surgeries and hospitals are getting the PPE equipment they need. It's inadequate equipment and the incorrect equipment; they aren't getting what they need, which will result in more contagion and, by definition, more deaths.It's basically an entire lie that the distribution to the required hospitals and surgeries is the issue; it's the fact that can't even get the right kit in the first place and didn't start ordering until every other fully developed European country had filled the order books.

If you agree to install any app such as this on your mobile phone you are beyond moronic and in the realms of compliance sheep mentality - sorry, 'herd' mentality, since that's the word of the week - rather than preventing the vulnerable being infected in the first place. Vulnerable extends to more than just the elderly.

Comment

Why build an app then?
                  So people won’t know that they’ve been doing it on the quiet?

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                    So people won’t know that they’ve been doing it on the quiet?
                    They KNOW what you're writing .... be very careful, else it's the salt mines for you citizen
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                    X