• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Face masks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    If you need to be reminded not to touch your face as you could spread germs, then useful
    Simpler and more effective - dip your fingers in chilli oil. Wear gloves when going to the loo though...
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Some maths:

The average cough has 200 million viruses. (I read somewhere...)

Let's say that taking in a single virus carries a one in a hundred million chance of you getting infected.
      From a single cough from someone else, you unfortunately take in 10% of the viruses. So that's 20 million.
      Chance of infection is ~20%.
      If you were wearing an N95 mask, then you'd take in 1 million viruses
      Chance of infection is 0.5%
      If you make your own mask, perhaps you'll achieve 80% reduction in ingestion. Chance of infection is 4%.

Change that one in a hundred million to one in a million and the chances of infection are:
      Unprotected: practically certain
      N95: 73%
      Homemade 80%: practically certain

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        FFP3/N99. But you really want a visor mask to protect you from others.
        Yeah, visor is essential

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          FFP3/N99.

But you really want a visor mask to protect you from others.
          No mask will stop viruses (due to the virus size) but they will filter out dust particles and water droplets that harbour virus, therefore, it is still better to wear a mask.

>> How big are viruses?

I have masks and goggles but I have not yet used them. I am keeping then ready for when they are really needed.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Some are more effective than others. This one I tried was good, but I had a bit of an accident trying to go to the loo.

England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
              Some are more effective than others. This one I tried was good, but I had a bit of an accident trying to go to the loo.

So much so it appears to have reached your hands...
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

If frontline medical staff in organised countries (i.e: not here) are made to use them along with their other protective equipment then it is obvious that they work, rather than 3M profiteering.

If you don't have some FPP3 rated facemasks then it's worth acquiring a few and using them when you shop. The sequence of events for putting it on and taking it off mean washing your hands before both actions. The people you see wearing them in the streets aren't trying to avoid infection when they're in the fresh air, they don't want to have to touch it just to queue and enter a shop.

The surgical cloth facemasks you see are pointless and increase likelihood of catching the virus as the moisture around the mouth results in a wet area on the cloth hold the virus externally if you are unfortunate enough to walk into the path of someone with the virus who has just sneezed or coughed.

I worked in Asia during the SARS epidemic and this changed my approach to facemasks, although I do appreciate how dystopian it makes life look. You can't even get most people to wear hats here in the UK when it's -5oC outside, unlike in Russia and China in the depths of winter at the same temperature due to worries about messing up hair styles, so I can see why many are reticent to wear a facemask. The disposable ones can be reused for up to five days if you meticulously spray them with disinfectant and ensure the valve filter is clean. Ultimately the FPP3 disposable specification is such that they are to be disposed of after 3 hours of use in high risk area, but I've (my family, I'm still isolated) donated the other hundred I had to the local NHS unit and just kept a few for each family member.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                  The people you see wearing them in the streets aren't trying to avoid infection when they're in the fresh air...
                  They are though.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                    If frontline medical staff in organised countries (i.e: not here) are made to use them along with their other protective equipment then it is obvious that they work, rather than 3M profiteering.

If you don't have some FPP3 rated facemasks then it's worth acquiring a few and using them when you shop. The sequence of events for putting it on and taking it off mean washing your hands before both actions. The people you see wearing them in the streets aren't trying to avoid infection when they're in the fresh air, they don't want to have to touch it just to queue and enter a shop.

The surgical cloth facemasks you see are pointless and increase likelihood of catching the virus as the moisture around the mouth results in a wet area on the cloth hold the virus externally if you are unfortunate enough to walk into the path of someone with the virus who has just sneezed or coughed.

I worked in Asia during the SARS epidemic and this changed my approach to facemasks, although I do appreciate how dystopian it makes life look. You can't even get most people to wear hats here in the UK when it's -5oC outside, unlike in Russia and China in the depths of winter at the same temperature due to worries about messing up hair styles, so I can see why many are reticent to wear a facemask. The disposable ones can be reused for up to five days if you meticulously spray them with disinfectant and ensure the valve filter is clean. Ultimately the FPP3 disposable specification is such that they are to be disposed of after 3 hours of use in high risk area, but I've (my family, I'm still isolated) donated the other hundred I had to the local NHS unit and just kept a few for each family member.
                    However, viruses can easily land on your eyes and enter your tear ducts, go to your throat and down your lungs. Full filtered goggles are required.

It only takes one virus to enter your lungs to get infected.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      They are though.

If they're putting them on at home with clean washed hands then it stands to reason they'll be wearing it for the duration of their economic journey and then returning home to remove with clean washed hands.

I haven't heard of too many people wearing facemasks here to just go a walk about the countryside or quiet areas, it's all people heading to the shops to stock up on emergency chocolate.

Comment

Working...
                      X