• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Face masks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    The argument is that its to protect others from yourself, if you are mildly affected or asymptomatic (though if you are asymptomatic, I've always wondered why you'd be contagious in an airborne way, as you're not coughing or sneezing)
    Yes I get that but even then the virus particles are so small they can still get beyond the mask but it may reduce the spread.

Ultimately as with the common cold we're all going to get it or have had it. The lock down is doing its job of allowing the NHS to cope and build its resources but unless you're going to live the rest of your life in self isolation the inevitable will happen. My 94 year old MIL may not see the outside of her flat again and we're having to explain that if she gets it she'll die but in the lottery of life death is inevitable. Let's hope a workable vaccine can be found sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
      Yes I get that but even then the virus particles are so small they can still get beyond the mask but it may reduce the spread.

Ultimately as with the common cold we're all going to get it or have had it. The lock down is doing its job of allowing the NHS to cope and build its resources but unless you're going to live the rest of your life in self isolation the inevitable will happen. My 94 year old MIL may not see the outside of her flat again and we're having to explain that if she gets it she'll die but in the lottery of life death is inevitable. Let's hope a workable vaccine can be found sooner rather than later.
      the virus particles tend to travel on the backs of larger particles

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
        If we're told to wear face masks where are they coming from? Single use for a limited period to cover a population of 70+ million equates to multi millions a day. And do they work, probably not. The medical grade masks that may stop the virus particles for a limited period aren't going to be available for us mere mortals at an affordable cost and in the quantities required. Any other type will have no effect what so ever. And more people will get the virus because they'll feel safe with a mask which doesn't work. 5 minutes of wet breath and even effective ones aren't anymore and the majority can't stop the virus particles they're so small. People won't fit them properly and coughing into your own face will get very annoying after a short while
        Face masks do not stop you getting COVID19, they are only effective in stopping you transmitting to others. So I doubt we will be mandated to wear them unless you show symptoms or test positive
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Face masks do not stop you getting COVID19, they are only effective in stopping you transmitting to others. So I doubt we will be mandated to wear them unless you show symptoms or test positive

Any barrier is going to decrease risk of infection either way (trapping the virus in or out). The point about the better masks is they have a higher chance of blocking it as the filter is small enough to block the virus.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            Any barrier is going to decrease risk of infection either way (trapping the virus in or out). The point about the better masks is they have a higher chance of blocking it as the filter is small enough to block the virus.
            I things its about the entry points, if you have a mask on but COVID19 exists on your hands or other parts the body it will linger there until you take the mask off. Where as the way for the virus to leave your body can only be from the nose or mouth which would be covered if wearing a mask.
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I have it on good authorita that people without masks will be shot in sight by drones.

HTH

Comment

Will the drones be wearing masks?

Comment

I found three old FMP3 masks at the back of the workshop that I'd bought for decorating and never used. That was handy.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    The last is unlikely to happen as there is no testing...
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                      I found three old FMP3 masks at the back of the workshop that I'd bought for decorating and never used. That was handy.
                      Yeh. I've got a packet of face masks in the garage that I got when rearranging a bit of the loft insulation. Doubt they'd be very effective. Given me an idea though, I'll be safe if I just lock myself in my loft.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X