• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Face masks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in the lottery of life death is inevitable
    Rubbish. Doom and gloom fake news!
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Yeh. I've got a packet of face masks in the garage that I got when rearranging a bit of the loft insulation. Doubt they'd be very effective. Given me an idea though, I'll be safe if I just lock myself in my loft.
      Aye Xoggoth - personally I find my attic experience is enhanced when I wear my mask whilst rearanging the loft insulation - its all part of growing up and being British.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        We got 20 masks from Screwfix at the start of the panic buying. Used about 5 thus far, keeping the used ones in a sealed bag, supposedly the virus dies in 2-3 days on it's own so they are self-sterilizing sort of speak.

The main goal of using low grade masks by the public is not so much to stop you from inhaling the virus particles, as much as stopping you from spreading them through coughs and simple exhalation or at the very least significantly reduce the amount/range of the spread.
        Paper bags

Comment

How about some of these, put some hepa filter material inside where the mouth and nose is.

Sensong Paintball Mask Airsoft Masks Full Face Skull Mask with Clear PC Lenses Tactical Protection for Halloween Paintball BB Gun CS Game Cosplay and Party Fans Supplies Silver Gray: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Because even in "normal" breathing there can be aerosols generated, also if you're wearing a mask, you won't be touching your mouth with your hands, so you won't be leaving a trail everywhere you touch.
            to avoid touching your face, especially your eyes, just dip your fingers in chili oil. Wash your hands before going to the toilet...

If the material the mask is made of is not ultra-fine, from the virus' point of view, it's just a bunch of loosely connected holes.viruses, and even the particles they ride in on are very very small.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              to avoid touching your face, especially your eyes, just dip your fingers in chili oil. Wash your hands before going to the toilet...

If the material the mask is made of is not ultra-fine, from the virus' point of view, it's just a bunch of loosely connected holes.viruses, and even the particles they ride in on are very very small.
              True, but also larger particles/droplets that masks would stop will contain them too, and more of them. Read somewhere that infection with larger numbers of the virus is likely to be more serious, they multiply quicker and give you less time to build immunity.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I had a feeling of déjà vu - I've merged the threads discussing the same issue.

Comment

I just wish that the district nurses and carers that come to our house everyday had SOME protective equipment apart from gloves and plastic aprons.
                  The carers were given 3 disposable masks each but they save them to use for one of their clients who has a cough

Himself is already on NIV 24/7 so there is no hope if he gets this virus and he certainly wont be going into hospital.

The carers in the community who travel from home to home caring for the disabled and sick seem to be at the bottom of everyone’s list when it comes to PPE its a fecking disgrace
                  I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                    I just wish that the district nurses and carers that come to our house everyday had SOME protective equipment apart from gloves and plastic aprons.
                    The carers were given 3 disposable masks each but they save them to use for one of their clients who has a cough

Himself is already on NIV 24/7 so there is no hope if he gets this virus and he certainly wont be going into hospital.

The carers in the community who travel from home to home caring for the disabled and sick seem to be at the bottom of everyone’s list when it comes to PPE its a fecking disgrace
                    We've just received 500 facemasks from a concerned friend in China. We're sending them over to the UK. Really.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      FFP3/N99.

But you really want a visor mask to protect you from others.
                      FFP3 is a dust mask spec. It's not able to stop bugs. You need a "Face Fit" type. No facial hair, of a type that for instance Asbestos removal workers use with replaceable filter casings and seals that can be cleaned every time they are used. They aren't comfortable but they will block azzy fibres.

HSE has good guidance on RPE. I guess FFP3 will do if there's nothing else, but they cannot be pre-wetted with any kind of fluid. Best defence would be to breath in through your nose. As well as an FFP3 mask.
                      They will be useful if you can't get out of the habit of touching your face though.

Respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
                      Last edited by Lost It; 20 April 2020, 08:13.

Comment

Working...
                      X