• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

O2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O2

Coronavirus: London hospital almost runs out of oxygen for Covid-19 patients

A major NHS hospital almost ran out of oxygen for its Covid-19 patients on ventilators because it was treating so many people with the disease who needed help to breathe.

The incident, which occurred at a London teaching hospital last weekend, has prompted NHS bosses to urgently warn all NHS trusts in England to limit the number of people they put on mechanical ventilators and continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machines.

NHS England was so concerned by what happened that it told hospital bosses in a letter on Monday that the risk constituted a “critical safety concern” which could have major consequences for all patients relying on oxygen to stay alive. It told them to take a series of urgent actions to reduce the risk of their own oxygen supply suddenly running short because of heavy demand.

It told trusts that a sudden increase in patients receiving support with their breathing because of coronavirus, risks a hospital’s oxygen supply failing altogether, which could cut off the supply to all those needing it to help them fight the infection in their lungs.

Coronavirus: London hospital almost runs out of oxygen for Covid-19 patients | Society | The Guardian

Jesus...

Yeah, and I also know that BOC have asked all their customers to return the oxygen canisters already supplied.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Iv'e got one of those little nitrous oxide cylinders I picked up while walking a while ago. Maybe that might do if I get it.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Iv'e got one of those little nitrous oxide cylinders I picked up while walking a while ago. Maybe that might do if I get it.
        Make sure you clean it thoroughly - you don’t want to know where Brillo keeps them

Comment

The recipe is well known - just need to upscale. El pronto.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Coronavirus: London hospital almost runs out of oxygen for Covid-19 patients

A major NHS hospital almost ran out of oxygen for its Covid-19 patients on ventilators because it was treating so many people with the disease who needed help to breathe.

The incident, which occurred at a London teaching hospital last weekend, has prompted NHS bosses to urgently warn all NHS trusts in England to limit the number of people they put on mechanical ventilators and continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machines.

NHS England was so concerned by what happened that it told hospital bosses in a letter on Monday that the risk constituted a “critical safety concern” which could have major consequences for all patients relying on oxygen to stay alive. It told them to take a series of urgent actions to reduce the risk of their own oxygen supply suddenly running short because of heavy demand.

It told trusts that a sudden increase in patients receiving support with their breathing because of coronavirus, risks a hospital’s oxygen supply failing altogether, which could cut off the supply to all those needing it to help them fight the infection in their lungs.

Coronavirus: London hospital almost runs out of oxygen for Covid-19 patients | Society | The Guardian

Jesus...
            Did you call?

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
            X