• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coronavirus:covid: Do you think your job is safe?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I hope this is the case remote work suits me, but before this crisis I noticed on twitter a number of posts from people saying remote working left them feeling lonely and isolated. Also, a push from the usual types complaining remote working affects the mental health of female workers more so than men. For many people work is their social life.
    Good points , The isolation and loneliness is an ill of the children of Gen-X/Y without even bringing working practices into it , it's a sadness and , although not proven as such - it's hard to believe its not due to social media, smart phones, tablets etc. One lad told me that whenever he made a social choice, he always had to check insta, to see if the other choice he could have made , looked better !

I can relate to work being social life, we've had some trauma in our lives, have lived in different countries on a year to year basis for 15 years; and will forever be childless - as such I focused on work as both social life and 'progression' . It's an easy trap to fall into - especially if there's no protection on working hours, or staff are expected to be on call on text / email, or my new personal annoyance - "Whatapp groups" .

Oh and rather than ranting on, how about answering the OP ? - My job isnt no, I've just left a "key worker" FTE postion to return to contracting , on an OUTSIDE proper contract (1 week before my wife was told to self isolate for safety) . Within 3 days I was told they were cutting all new hires and contractors .

Now I've just signed to a new accountant, costing around 2k a year and brought in 10k revenue , with 2.5k expenses and the only contracts I'm being offered are INSIDE IR35 at 50% reduced rates (but NHS, so I'll probably answer the call to arms!)

My timing is always impeccable!
    Last edited by Scoobos; 2 April 2020, 10:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
      I think 2-3 months is massively optimistic for how long this will go on - the longer we mess about with half measures the longer it will go; but personally , its my view that business wont stop, it may falter, but in 10 weeks time we will be back to 60-80% operational capacity - the tech is certainly there .
      Until 2023.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
        Well? I bet the whole lot of you think your job/contract/gig is the safest in the world and is protected from any recession, pandemic etc.

Apart from NHS doctors I doubt any job is safe. Even then, they are staring at death every day literally.

we are soo fooked.
        I'm designing and implementing an IT solution to manage patients with COVID-19.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Until 2023.
          The pendulum swings, that's massively pessimistic IMO - but , hey I post on a forum, lets see in 2 years!

Personally, I think our technology and the ability of human kind when it co-operates is amazing . We will have a vaccine and treatment for this in record time, if there's nothing within a year I'd be very very surprised.

If we hadn't competed against each other all these years , I've no doubt we'd have bases on the bloody moon by now - I'm a believer in the power of human co-operation.

Comment

there's no way that 10 days will get anything under control
            I agree with your post. By "Under Control" I mean to start seeing a damping down of the spread of the virus, which should lead to fewer admissions to hospital, which in turn will lead to fewer deaths.

There's no way it's going to be fully controlled in 10 days.

If in 10 days we are still seeing substantial increases in the daily infection rate, then we are all in for a long, long, difficult summer and a very long and difficult recovery period.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
              I agree with your post. By "Under Control" I mean to start seeing a damping down of the spread of the virus, which should lead to fewer admissions to hospital, which in turn will lead to fewer deaths.

There's no way it's going to be fully controlled in 10 days.

If in 10 days we are still seeing substantial increases in the daily infection rate, then we are all in for a long, long, difficult summer and a very long and difficult recovery period.
              Yeah let's hope not. In the early days I remember on liveleak reports coming in that the people in Wuhan were convinced it was airborne, because people continued to get sick , long after lockdown. But tests and science show it isn't , it's just likely infectious for a lot longer than we may think, or its the asymptomatic people . I seem to remember it taking weeks for the numbers to stop increasing by 20% ish ; but all that said , China's figures are clearly BS. I believed them at the time, but looking at what's happened in Europe - there's just no way they "Only" had 80k with 3.2 k dead. no way.

Comment

Working for a bank one a urgent project (even more urgent now) but that ends start of June...

Everytime I get a call I think I am about to get cut.

Comment

No it was not safe, it got canned 2 days before the start date due to the virus
                  I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Now I've got a 10 year rainy day fund I find I'm not enjoying my job quite as much as I used to...
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Now I've just signed to a new accountant, costing around 2k a year and brought in 10k revenue , with 2.5k expenses and the only contracts I'm being offered are INSIDE IR35 at 50% reduced rates (but NHS, so I'll probably answer the call to arms!)
                      2k a year for an accountant seems very expensive.

Comment

Working...
                      X