• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Germany conducting more than 50,000 coronavirus tests a day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe we should have outsourced our testing to Germany.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      Not quite sure what a 'Health Economist' is nor parts of his profile excite me:

I think I'll stick with actual doctors, scientists and the WHO rather than: Cam Donaldson - Wikipedia
      Selective quoting. Nice

Cam Donaldson – The Conversation

Cameron Richard Donaldson (born 30 November 1960) is a health economist.[1] He holds the Yunus Chair in Social Business & Health and is Pro Vice Chancellor (Research) at Glasgow Caledonian University, the University for the Common Good.

He is renowned for his research on measuring and valuing the benefits of health care, using economics in health care priority setting and economic evaluation. He has published over 250 refereed journal articles and seven books[2] and, in almost 35 years in health economics research, Cam has won over £25m in competitive funding awards, over £10m of this as principal investigator.
      (quote is from wikipedia btw)

Comment

I'd love to know the secret about Germany's mortality rate - whether its because their figure reporting is not just hospital admissions or people displaying symptons , or what. But 944 deaths to 78k cases is a very good result.

I suspect I've answered my own question because we are only counting those ill enough to get into a hospital and you have to be quite ill to get in.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Selective quoting. Nice
          I learnt that from the Daily Mail....
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
            I'd love to know the secret about Germany's mortality rate - whether its because their figure reporting is not just hospital admissions or people displaying symptons , or what. But 944 deaths to 78k cases is a very good result.

I suspect I've answered my own question because we are only counting those ill enough to get into a hospital and you have to be quite ill to get in.
            Mortality rate is higher if you only got small testing capacity used only on those who get really sick.

But also Germany just seems more prepared - chance are not making patients till they get really sick would save more of them.

Comment

I suspect that Germany is going to hit a bad patch soon with this virus, figures are climbing now that it's starting to hit care homes and the elderly more than previously.
              Yup. There are no winners in this one I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post

If you test a large number of minor cases, then you'll have a lower death rate.

Also, I read somewhere that the average age of a German infected is 46, against 64 in Italy and 63 in the UK.

The UK, Italian & French figures don't include people who died at home or in a care-home, don't know if the German figures include non-hospital deaths.

You won't know the real death rate in any country ( and never in China ) until this is all done and they've had chance to go through all the numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                  Yup. There are no winners in this one I'm afraid.
                  Nope although Germany have increased their ICU beds to 40,000 now and 3 out of 4 have ventilators....
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Nope although Germany have increased their ICU beds to 40,000 now and 3 out of 4 have ventilators....
                    Good for them.

However, there's plenty of people dying and it's not because of a lack of ventilators in the UK. The UK is not at the capacity of it's ventilators.

Comment

Hancock just promised 100K per day by end of April

Holding post for 25K

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                      X