• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Germany conducting more than 50,000 coronavirus tests a day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Germany conducting more than 50,000 coronavirus tests a day

Germany has conducted at least 6x the number of tests conducted in the UK....

History books will reflect poorly on the decisions taken by the PM in the early days of the outbreak... still the herd will vote for the befuddling wonder boy.

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

German laboratories are conducting more than 50,000 coronavirus tests a day, according to data released on Wednesday that laid bare differences in strategy and capacity across Europe.

The Robert Koch Institute, which is co-ordinating Germany’s public health response to the pandemic, said the total number of tests conducted since the start of the crisis had reached at least 918,460. That number was likely to be revised upwards as some laboratories processing test results had yet to pass on data from earlier weeks, it added.

Germany has led the way in Europe with large-scale testing of its population for the virus, which is one of the reasons why the country’s Covid-19 mortality rate is lower than its neighbours. So-called antigen tests are carried out on people showing even mild symptoms as long as they are referred by a doctor.

Britain, France and Spain, by contrast, have limited their testing to the very sick or have been constrained by a shortage of testing kits, the chemicals that go into them, and laboratory capacity, among other things. There has been an outcry in all three countries about the lack of testing for doctors, nurses and social care workers who risk spreading infection to patients. The three countries are all rushing to ramp up testing despite the supply bottlenecks.

Over the past week, Germany conducted 354,521 coronavirus tests, a small increase on the 348,619 carried out in the prior seven days. Some health officials have estimated the weekly testing rate to be even higher, suggesting Germany was conducting as many as 500,000.

According to the Robert Koch Institute, last week’s test data were based on information from 143 laboratories, while the previous seven days involved information from 176. It was not immediately clear whether this mismatch had affected the overall count.

One reason for the comparatively large number of tests — but also the time lag in publishing data on testing — is the country’s decentralised testing regime and laboratory infrastructure.

Tests are carried out not just in hospitals and doctors’ practices but in special drive-in test stations.

France, by contrast, is among Europe’s testing laggards despite having one of the most effective and well-resourced health systems in the world.

According to the latest weekly data from Santé Publique France, the public health body, and published on March 26, the country had carried out 101,000 tests in hospital laboratories and a further 6,500 in high-street diagnostic centres and private laboratories — fewer than even the UK. The British government on Wednesday said a total of 152,979 people have been tested in the UK.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Why waste money on testing infrastructure when you can just buy tests from China whenever you need them? It’s much more efficient and savings to taxpayers will be at least 0.0001% of income tax rate

Comment

Of course they are - because Germany can be self sufficient with the way it's rebuilt its country.

I remember (forgotten his name, damn! The guy from sky at night with the monacle) , saying that he believed that Germany had never given up on its aims to command Europe and that the EU was a method of doing it!

I'm not saying I believe that, but it did whet my appetitite for looking into it and they've made very different decisions to us, that are pretty 'insular' Complete with their focus on a balance between industry, finance, education etc they are a powerhouse, who can stand on their own.

Comment

I suspect that Germany is going to hit a bad patch soon with this virus, figures are climbing now that it's starting to hit care homes and the elderly more than previously.
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
          I remember (forgotten his name, damn! The guy from sky at night with the monacle) , saying that he believed that Germany had never given up on its aims to command Europe and that the EU was a method of doing it!
          I remember meeting him when they were filming 'The Sky at Night' at ESA, I walked into the mission controllers room, tripped over a camera cable and swore loudly while they were filming...

I'm not saying I believe that, but it did whet my appetitite for looking into it and they've made very different decisions to us, that are pretty 'insular' Complete with their focus on a balance between industry, finance, education etc they are a powerhouse, who can stand on their own.
          Doesn't this just prove that countries are not tied to the EU but do have sovereignty?
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            I suspect that Germany is going to hit a bad patch soon with this virus, figures are climbing now that it's starting to hit care homes and the elderly more than previously.
            Probably right, its the same for all but (I think) Italy, in that its all about "hospital deaths" - the nursing homes and (sadly) , the over 70's who live alone , being found dead in their flats ; haven't been added to stats.

The old people living on their own is so sad, no ones checking on them due to isolation and they are just a totally hidden number - it was initially horrific in Italy, but they do count them :/

Comment

There's an argument that mass testing isn't the right way forward...

Coronavirus: as a health economist, I'm not convinced the case for mass testing stacks up

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                I remember meeting him when they were filming 'The Sky at Night' at ESA, I walked into the mission controllers room, tripped over a camera cable and swore loudly while they were filming...

Doesn't this just prove that countries are not tied to the EU but do have sovereignty?
                I would like to see it like that, yes. Personally I've always wanted to see the EU as a federation , like Canada is. (I lub Canada)

As far as testing goes - I only really follow what the WHO guidance is , like them or lump them, they are the "experts" in all of this.

I initially wanted to call out some of the links posted - but , especially in the case of the above - many of them are better than UK media!

The Conversation - Media Bias/Fact Check Does very well!
                Last edited by Scoobos; 2 April 2020, 11:30.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Coronavirus: as a health economist, I'm not convinced the case for mass testing stacks up
                  As far as testing goes - I only really follow what the WHO guidance is , like them or lump them, they are the "experts" in all of this.
                  Anyone who doesn't follow WHO guidance is considered a witch doctor, gambling with people's lives, until after the fact, when some of them may be proven correct, and everyone will ask why they weren't listened to at the time

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Not quite sure what a 'Health Economist' is nor parts of his profile excite me:

Cam has retained interests in preference elicitation and priority setting, but has also developed a focus on assessing impacts of microcredit and social business on health and wellbeing,
                    I think I'll stick with actual doctors, scientists and the WHO rather than: Cam Donaldson - Wikipedia

Comment

Working...
                    X