• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are there a lot of people who work in IT that have weird personality disorders?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes Im WFH and bored.....

30 years in the business and I'd say definitely....

Over the years, I've encountered some nice people, and some downright weird. Client managers too - some decent human beings, some just complete losers.

Few things I've noticed:-

1. Public sector employees are the worse. There are people working there who are unbelievable.
    2. Public sector client managers are sometimes the worse. I've worked with managers who I'm sure would fail a psychopath test.
    3. Bad managers always seem to like the power they think they have.
    4. There are lots of people inc managers out there who just do not like contractors.
    5. There are managers out there who like to treat the contractors like crap because "they earn too much"

Over the years, I've had some managers who I'd consider now to be friends. Great people who I got on great with.
    My current manager I can hardly speak to in the office without arguing with him.

Only once have I ever left a gig early. It was making me ill - never doing that again. This was the guy who got the permies to write down time I arrived, followed me to meetings at the other sites, and tried to tell me I wasn;t allowed to leave the building at lunchtime.

Keep calm and count the money eh?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

You did not sign up on the dole?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      You did not sign up on the dole?
      It'll be the new normal for a lot of IT people.

PC will be one of the few working
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Yes Im WFH and bored.....

30 years in the business and I'd say definitely....

Over the years, I've encountered some nice people, and some downright weird. Client managers too - some decent human beings, some just complete losers.

Few things I've noticed:-

1. Public sector employees are the worse. There are people working there who are unbelievable.
        2. Public sector client managers are sometimes the worse. I've worked with managers who I'm sure would fail a psychopath test.
        3. Bad managers always seem to like the power they think they have.
        4. There are lots of people inc managers out there who just do not like contractors.
        5. There are managers out there who like to treat the contractors like crap because "they earn too much"

Over the years, I've had some managers who I'd consider now to be friends. Great people who I got on great with.
        My current manager I can hardly speak to in the office without arguing with him.

Only once have I ever left a gig early. It was making me ill - never doing that again. This was the guy who got the permies to write down time I arrived, followed me to meetings at the other sites, and tried to tell me I wasn;t allowed to leave the building at lunchtime.

Keep calm and count the money eh?
        I agree to a point - I think for my generation (child of the 80's) getting into computing was a nerdy uncool thing to do - and we did genuinely lock ourselves away coding from books , learning BASIC and machine code etc . I think that mixed with the number 1 interview question being "whats your attention to detail like" , a lot of us developed some "insular and OCD" tendenancies.

I think the new gen aren't quite like that - but , either through chance or just statistical anomolies, I do notice a lot of the younger crowd appear to have autistic tendencies. It's very rare I see real eye contact going on, or people who aren't constantly distracted to their mobile devices - but that could be age .

One thing I'm certain of though, is that the older the hiring managers are, the worse they are in the way you describe. I've had great clients, but also some who just seem to want to micromanage , or just leave you to 'get on with it' with absolutely zero help or assistance.

I want to be careful here as its a small world - but a certain HUGE public sector office in the north is absolutely full of employees who offer nothing, know they offer nothing, hate their jobs and stay there purely because of fear of the outside world. Institutionalism is awful in cities with not much Private sector opportunities around.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          It'll be the new normal for a lot of IT people.

PC will be one of the few working
          He can reinvent himself as a keyboard sanitiser.

Comment

There are some decent people and managers in the public sector, but it does attract a lot of loonies. People who are able to work outside the public sector usually do.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I don't know about the autism thing, I think it's a bit of a stereotype.

You guys remember the Gary Mckinnon case? He "hacked" a ton of US military systems and was caught and the US wanted to extradite him to serve some time in a miserable prison. They finally started arguing he was autistic even though the primary symptoms were being good at computers and not wanting to be gang raped in a US prison. And he wasn't even good at computers, he was just a script kiddie taking advantage of the fact that most military computers at the time still had the default password.

All kids and most adults spend every minute looking at their phones. They can't all have personality disorders.

Comment

Have you looked in the mirror much recently?
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  Have you looked in the mirror much recently?
                  PC's never worked a day in his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    PC's never worked a day in his life.
                    Isn't filling in JSA forms work?

PS - don't forget that as PC is protected in professional forums to give double abuse in general...

Comment

Working...
                    X