Are there a lot of people who work in IT that have weird personality disorders? Are there a lot of people who work in IT that have weird personality disorders?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1

    Ddraig Goch

    psychocandy - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cymru
    Posts
    10,505

    Default Are there a lot of people who work in IT that have weird personality disorders?

    Yes Im WFH and bored.....

    30 years in the business and I'd say definitely....

    Over the years, I've encountered some nice people, and some downright weird. Client managers too - some decent human beings, some just complete losers.

    Few things I've noticed:-

    1. Public sector employees are the worse. There are people working there who are unbelievable.
    2. Public sector client managers are sometimes the worse. I've worked with managers who I'm sure would fail a psychopath test.
    3. Bad managers always seem to like the power they think they have.
    4. There are lots of people inc managers out there who just do not like contractors.
    5. There are managers out there who like to treat the contractors like crap because "they earn too much"

    Over the years, I've had some managers who I'd consider now to be friends. Great people who I got on great with.
    My current manager I can hardly speak to in the office without arguing with him.

    Only once have I ever left a gig early. It was making me ill - never doing that again. This was the guy who got the permies to write down time I arrived, followed me to meetings at the other sites, and tried to tell me I wasn;t allowed to leave the building at lunchtime.

    Keep calm and count the money eh?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

  2. #2

    My post count is Majestic

    AtW is always on top

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    57,099

    Default

    You did not sign up on the dole?

  3. #3

    Double Godlike!

    MrMarkyMark is a fount of knowledge


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    11,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    You did not sign up on the dole?
    It'll be the new normal for a lot of IT people.

    PC will be one of the few working
    The Chunt of Chunts.

  4. #4

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Scoobos has more data than eek

    Scoobos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Wherever I lay my hat
    Posts
    1,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
    Yes Im WFH and bored.....

    30 years in the business and I'd say definitely....

    Over the years, I've encountered some nice people, and some downright weird. Client managers too - some decent human beings, some just complete losers.

    Few things I've noticed:-

    1. Public sector employees are the worse. There are people working there who are unbelievable.
    2. Public sector client managers are sometimes the worse. I've worked with managers who I'm sure would fail a psychopath test.
    3. Bad managers always seem to like the power they think they have.
    4. There are lots of people inc managers out there who just do not like contractors.
    5. There are managers out there who like to treat the contractors like crap because "they earn too much"

    Over the years, I've had some managers who I'd consider now to be friends. Great people who I got on great with.
    My current manager I can hardly speak to in the office without arguing with him.

    Only once have I ever left a gig early. It was making me ill - never doing that again. This was the guy who got the permies to write down time I arrived, followed me to meetings at the other sites, and tried to tell me I wasn;t allowed to leave the building at lunchtime.

    Keep calm and count the money eh?
    I agree to a point - I think for my generation (child of the 80's) getting into computing was a nerdy uncool thing to do - and we did genuinely lock ourselves away coding from books , learning BASIC and machine code etc . I think that mixed with the number 1 interview question being "whats your attention to detail like" , a lot of us developed some "insular and OCD" tendenancies.

    I think the new gen aren't quite like that - but , either through chance or just statistical anomolies, I do notice a lot of the younger crowd appear to have autistic tendencies. It's very rare I see real eye contact going on, or people who aren't constantly distracted to their mobile devices - but that could be age .

    One thing I'm certain of though, is that the older the hiring managers are, the worse they are in the way you describe. I've had great clients, but also some who just seem to want to micromanage , or just leave you to 'get on with it' with absolutely zero help or assistance.

    I want to be careful here as its a small world - but a certain HUGE public sector office in the north is absolutely full of employees who offer nothing, know they offer nothing, hate their jobs and stay there purely because of fear of the outside world. Institutionalism is awful in cities with not much Private sector opportunities around.

  5. #5

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg is always on top

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    27,782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    It'll be the new normal for a lot of IT people.

    PC will be one of the few working
    He can reinvent himself as a keyboard sanitiser.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  6. #6

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere is always on top

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    23,770

    Default

    There are some decent people and managers in the public sector, but it does attract a lot of loonies. People who are able to work outside the public sector usually do.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

  7. #7

    More time posting than coding

    hairymouse has more data than eek


    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    410

    Default

    I don't know about the autism thing, I think it's a bit of a stereotype.

    You guys remember the Gary Mckinnon case? He "hacked" a ton of US military systems and was caught and the US wanted to extradite him to serve some time in a miserable prison. They finally started arguing he was autistic even though the primary symptoms were being good at computers and not wanting to be gang raped in a US prison. And he wasn't even good at computers, he was just a script kiddie taking advantage of the fact that most military computers at the time still had the default password.

    All kids and most adults spend every minute looking at their phones. They can't all have personality disorders.

  8. #8

    Double Godlike!

    MrMarkyMark is a fount of knowledge


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    11,412

    Default

    Are there a lot of people who work in IT that have weird personality disorders?
    Have you looked in the mirror much recently?
    The Chunt of Chunts.

  9. #9

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg is always on top

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    27,782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Have you looked in the mirror much recently?
    PC's never worked a day in his life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  10. #10

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    108,530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    PC's never worked a day in his life.
    Isn't filling in JSA forms work?

    PS - don't forget that as PC is protected in professional forums to give double abuse in general...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •