• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

#ClapForCarers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I'm glad people like him exist and also glad they don't work in IT.

I wouldn't want to compete with people who love their work more than their own lives, or even people who love their work more than low pay...
    You wouldn't want to compete with a vertebrate.

Comment

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post

Odious wankbadger
        I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
          Odious wankbadger
          Indeed.

Looks totally coked up in that gif as well
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            A few health care workers went on the media last week after "the clap" and said they would like things like break rooms with free tea and coffee, not to get parking tickets and a payrise would be nice.
            This clapping lark, to me anyway, is akin to the ice-bucket challenge. Everyone jumping on the bandwaggon, filming themselves, and sharing it all over social media. It feels like it's more about the 'clappers' than the NHS workers.

We have quite a bit of contact with the NHS each week, we thank them every time they help us .... I wonder if in future I should just clap them as they leave the house, and film myself doing it?

I'd much prefer to see these 'clappers' protesting in Westminster, once the lockdown is lifted, demanding that nurses were paid to train, were paid suitable salaries, didn't have to pay for parking at their hospital etc.
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

I agree Whorty, but last night on my street it was definately a positive experience for everyone, seeing each others faces, making sure we were all ok ; and sharing some time together to appreciate where we are and what people are doing to help us.

I am sceptical of clapping them when they're getting screwed over resource wise and safety wise - clapping seems pointless, but it is something that people can do NOW and I think people just want to feel like they are helping.

The feedback from (I'm a big fan) Dr Hope's sick notes crew , is that its really helping. Also those that are draping towels at the entrances to hospitals saying thank you, anything that helps the countries morale is welcome in my book.

I'd rather we collectively take control of Westminster in mass protests, but now is not the time, if clapping is all I can do to show solidarity and support for the support services, that's what I'll do.
              Last edited by Scoobos; 3 April 2020, 14:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                This clapping lark, to me anyway, is akin to the ice-bucket challenge. Everyone jumping on the bandwaggon, filming themselves, and sharing it all over social media. It feels like it's more about the 'clappers' than the NHS workers.

We have quite a bit of contact with the NHS each week, we thank them every time they help us .... I wonder if in future I should just clap them as they leave the house, and film myself doing it?

I'd much prefer to see these 'clappers' protesting in Westminster, once the lockdown is lifted, demanding that nurses were paid to train, were paid suitable salaries, didn't have to pay for parking at their hospital etc.
                Stolen from Anthony Jeslnik, but the principle still applies. It's like these people who post 'thoughts and prayers with the families' when there's a massacre or an atrocity that claims multiple lives. What they're actually saying is 'Don't forget about ME today'......
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Not quite sure what the point is meself. Had forgotten all about it. Went out front when I heard a lot of noise on the street, people standing on doorsteps clapping and shouting.

Council rather rude re volunteering. Couldn't see anything about requirements on their website so I signed up with basic details. Got forbidden page and when I looked at my application it just said closed. Suppose I'm too old.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                    Stolen from Anthony Jeslnik, but the principle still applies. It's like these people who post 'thoughts and prayers with the families' when there's a massacre or an atrocity that claims multiple lives. What they're actually saying is 'Don't forget about ME today'......
                    Agreed. The phrase “ stealing the valour” of NHS workers comes to mind. Too many people on LinkedIn were posting it to get cheap likes

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

From Twitter
                      https://twitter.com/soapachu/status/1246129732065939457
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X