• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House market - how low will it go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    You're in a privileged position, health concerns notwithstanding.
    Not being an arse to you personally, but I hate that word.

I've bought a modest house outright, I've never had a mortgage, but take it from me, my life is not privileged and using that word can impact very negatively on someone's mental health.

Even if someone (I'm certainly not) is from a background of privilege , they cannot help the life they are born into - and using that word to describe someone you don't know , can make them feel like they aren't allowed to feel negative thoughts because 'there's someone worse off'. This leads to serious problems in some.

Sounds preachy, but a raw nerve I suppose .. I'll bugger off somewhere to say something jolly

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post

I've bought a modest house outright, I've never had a mortgage, but take it from me, my life is not privileged and using that word can impact very negatively on someone's mental health.

Even if someone (I'm certainly not) is from a background of privilege , they cannot help the life they are born into - and using that word to describe someone you don't know , can make them feel like they aren't allowed to feel negative thoughts because 'there's someone worse off'. This leads to serious problems in some.

Sounds preachy, but a raw nerve I suppose .. I'll bugger off somewhere to say something jolly
      Many billionaire's say the same. They are not worth as much as proper billionaires.

Personally I am grateful to be born in a Western Country where I have enough to eat and a roof over my head. Anything else is a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post

Perhaps what I mean was fortuitous? Is that okay?!
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Mate of mine just completed on a £450k 3 bed new build in Swindon last Friday and he can't even move in. He's now paying interest on a house he can't live in plus he can't get any tenants into the property he was putting on a BTL and moving from.

Don't see this ending well

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            You're in a privileged position, health concerns notwithstanding.
            A 'privilege', if that is true, that I have worked to get. I came from a council estate from one of the poorest areas of the country and worked my way to where I am today. Nothing has been given to me (or my wife).

I/we went without holidays for years in order to pay off our mortgage to ensure we would be debt free at a time when we expected her health to get worse and our ability to work to reduce.

And I was just responding to your post to me ..... if you're going to accuse me of something, I have a right to reply.
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by The Janter Effect View Post
              Mate of mine just completed on a £450k 3 bed new build in Swindon last Friday and he can't even move in. He's now paying interest on a house he can't live in plus he can't get any tenants into the property he was putting on a BTL and moving from.

Don't see this ending well
              Good. Hope he goes bankrupt. Second home owners f**king up the lives of the young. IMO all BTL rental income should be taxed at 110%. And double each year.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Good. Hope he goes bankrupt. Second home owners f**king up the lives of the young. IMO all BTL rental income should be taxed at 110%. And double each year.

Comment

Seriously that's f***g just nasty. Try and put your brain into gear before you spout bile like that. Not everybody who rents out a house is doing it for blatant profiteering.

This guy has just had a messy divorce & he actually needed to move but had no chance of selling in the current market conditions. Renting it out was supposed to give him the chance to move on from a particularly unpleasant situation.

Comment

Many billionaire's say the same. They are not worth as much as proper billionaires.

Personally I am grateful to be born in a Western Country where I have enough to eat and a roof over my head. Anything else is a bonus.
                    You're right, that's our true privilege - to be born in the UK, with free health care, free (well, mostly) education, an open market for work, and the opportunity, should we choose, to better ourselves.
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by The Janter Effect View Post
                      Seriously that's f***g just nasty. Try and put your brain into gear before you spout bile like that. Not everybody who rents out a house is doing it for blatant profiteering.

This guy has just had a messy divorce & he actually needed to move but had no chance of selling in the current market conditions. Renting it out was supposed to give him the chance to move on from a particularly unpleasant situation.
                      No chance of selling, yet he bought another property at the same time.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X