• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Elephant in the room

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    no chance. it's what he does.
    misinformation and fearmongering with an overwhelming sense of self privilege is his forte.
    along with his new chums, crashlanding, scobby doo and that janitor twat.
    Yawn.

Welcome back, I've missed you
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      It is important to know whether it is true. The data suggests it isn't. "Hard to see" is scientist-speak for "unlikely". Science isn't definite. There's an extremely small chance that lying under your bed whispering "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" will offer you some protection.

Next time, post a link to a decent source. Exclude the scare-mongering.
      I'm certainly not trying to scare people actually, completely the opposite.

Anyway, we will leave it there, I will add I did find the second article genuinely interesting, thanks!

My ask is please don't post stuff from the New Scientist in future, to support your arguments, I have never trusted it for accuracy.

In addition, this was posted in General, which is hardly known for it definitive info.

Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 5 April 2020, 18:40.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
        To my knowledge, human's have not developed immunity to ANY corona viruses yet (Common cold, SARs, Flu, etc), so what will make this one different?

What are the Cukker's crackpot theories.
        I think SARS-COV2 (current pandemic) will stick around but will mutate and become weaker over time until it is no worse or less common than the ones that cause the common cold. This may take several decades though.

I believe this is what happened with Spanish flu. I.e. It never really vanished, and just became less deadly over the decades as it evolved to survive in humans (though flu is still obviously deadly).

I should add that this virus seems to mutate slowly so we should in theory be able to produce an annual vaccination like we have for flu. Well hopefully..
        Last edited by CheeseSlice; 5 April 2020, 18:49.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          None of us are

However, Lady Muck suggests that you can be naturally immune, in the case of a genetic mutation against certain pathogens.
          Whether this is the case with Coronovirus noone yet knows.

Yes, actual immunity would usually come after, but some people never getting sick suggests that they have enough antibodies to fight it, whether this suggests some kind of natural immunity, or being exposed to a smaller viral load, I really couldn't tell you.

All of this is so new, to be fair, noone else could tell you definitevely either.
          I would hasten to add: immunity by virtue of genetics is by no means known for coronaviruses but it has happened for other pathogens.

It was more a pedantic comment that not all immunity is from exposure.

Maybe future generations - those that will be part of the Christmas/New Year baby boom, for example - could be born with some level of immunity as epigenetic changes could (not proven, haven't even seen a snifter of a suggestion) slightly change gene expression and give a level of protection. Or the virus horribly mutates germ cells and we end up with a bunch of lizards being born.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            I would hasten to add: immunity by virtue of genetics is by no means known for coronaviruses but it has happened for other pathogens.

It was more a pedantic comment that not all immunity is from exposure.

Maybe future generations - those that will be part of the Christmas/New Year baby boom, for example - could be born with some level of immunity as epigenetic changes could (not proven, haven't even seen a snifter of a suggestion) slightly change gene expression and give a level of protection. Or the virus horribly mutates germ cells and we end up with a bunch of lizards being born.
            Very interesting none the less .

Both Mr Ike and Zeity will be most happy if this leads to a greater population of lizards.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              I'm certainly not trying to scare people actually, completely the opposite.
              I couldn't care less about your intention. You post unsubstantiated crap, and I'll socially isolate you for a day or so.

The same might happen if I find you too annoying.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

There's some evidence that having had the BCG offers a level of protection against respiratory viruses.

Can an Old Vaccine Stop the New Coronavirus? - The New York Times

Trigger warning: science article written by a journalist.

Comment

I had my BCG about half a century ago.

It was nasty.

I wonder if it's still doing something.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    I couldn't care less about your intention. You post unsubstantiated crap, and I'll socially isolate you for a day or so.
                    6 ft underground?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      6 ft underground?
                      Now we're back to zombies.

Comment

Working...
                      X