• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lockdown in India is forcing the corporate world to rethink outsourced jobs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Benny View Post
    I understand business areas are OK but did wonder what the outlying broadband capacity and reliability was like in Bobland to allow people to wfh & maintain continuity - is it comparable?
    No, it's not. It's unreliable. Much of India, even just outside of city centres, doesn't have reliable running water never-mind >20ms latency broadband! Women don't have access to sanitary products or toilets in most cases.

I did laugh at your post, at least.

Comment

Two sockies arguing with each other...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Yep - these are figures I saw recently

• Permanent £493
        • Offshore IT (India) £161
        • Onshore IT £517
        • UK contractor £561

Offshore IT in Europe is usually about double the Indian rate.

Not far off the figures I saw for a large US multinational a few years ago. They wanted us to be so excited when they started building a huge India office, 5 years later half of IT was off-shored.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Yep - these are figures I saw recently

• Permanent £493 £800
          • Offshore IT (India) £161 £1600
          • Onshore IT £517 £517
          • UK contractor £561£300

Offshore IT in Europe is usually about double the Indian rate.
          Actual TCO in bold including rework, value added etc.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Had a text this morning from Vodafone saying they had reduced staff in customer service due to CV, and calls may take a long time to be answered. The call centre is in India...
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Client Co. work with a couple of the big players out there. Their DR plans (move to another building) are in disarray, they can't get staff online because they all use desktops and they can't open the offices to get them move to employees homes. They were scraping together about 50% capacity but that is likely to deteriorate.
              Any company with only one DR plan might as well burn it. That was my motto 20 years ago. I never expected to be proved so right though.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Benny View Post
                I understand business areas are OK but did wonder what the outlying broadband capacity and reliability was like in Bobland to allow people to wfh & maintain continuity - is it comparable?
                Broadband is reliable, pervasive, and very cheap (compared to western prices)
                https://www.jio.com/fiber/en-in/plans
                Last edited by yetanotherbob; 7 April 2020, 10:19.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                  No, it's not. It's unreliable. Much of India, even just outside of city centres, doesn't have reliable running water never-mind >20ms latency broadband! Women don't have access to sanitary products or toilets in most cases.

I did laugh at your post, at least.
                  In 2016 I worked with a Bob, that had to stay in the office all night if there was any evening work to be done. No broadband at home. He was working for a European multi national IT company.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Two sockies arguing with each other...
                    They should be in the sockie drawer together in a pair! I am distressed...

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine man View Post
                      In 2016 I worked with a Bob, that had to stay in the office all night if there was any evening work to be done. No broadband at home. He was working for a European multi national IT company
                      ...and he lived in Neasden.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X