• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cross species contamination

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cross species contamination

Saw the Bronx zoo post last night and it was enough to keep me awake for frickin hours.

Coronavirus: Tiger at Bronx Zoo tests positive for Covid-19 - BBC News

Pissed me off, to find out I wasn't a crackpot and that animals can get it - I knew I'd read it somewhere, a few months back .

Cats and dogs can get it as there are (admittedly rare) cases of it, but then again, how many countries are testing domestic animals in any quantity?

Tiger tests positive for coronavirus at Bronx Zoo, first known case in the world

I'm a massive animal lover, but ... why aren't they euthanising the animals, why are we running the risk of it crossing back with a nice new mutation?

Also, it was a bit fake newsy when it broke, as these articles were saying "Several animals" at 3am, now its "just" a Tiger, thank god.

Cats can infect each other with coronavirus, Chinese study finds | World news | The Guardian

Poor kitty is on lockdown now..

Have any squirrels got it?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Have any squirrels got it?
      Let's keep it real, please.

Was it a native red or immigrant black squirrel?
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

My two pet bats caught it.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

EEK !
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

There were also cases of swine-flu infecting dogs.

When you've got millions of cases, you'll get some rare things happening such as a cat testing positive.

It's only a problem for humans if
            1. The virus mutates to be able to readily cross from cat to cat
            2. The virus mutates again to be able to cross readily from cat to cat

So much depends on the exact biology of their immune systems. Really, there's no need to worry at this stage. Or even be slightly alarmed.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              There were also cases of swine-flu infecting dogs.

When you've got millions of cases, you'll get some rare things happening such as a cat testing positive.

It's only a problem for humans if
              1. The virus mutates to be able to readily cross from cat to cat
              2. The virus mutates again to be able to cross readily from cat to cat

So much depends on the exact biology of their immune systems. Really, there's no need to worry at this stage. Or even be slightly alarmed.
              Surely it also needs to mutate to cross from [insert pet of choice here] to human (again)?

Comment

Hope pigs don't get it. I'll be in trouble.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  Hope pigs don't get it. I'll be in trouble.
                  On the plus side, David Cameron will get it....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    On the plus side, David Cameron will get it....

just be careful with sheep!
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X