• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Private School Fees - School refusing to reduce fees during summer term

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private School Fees - School refusing to reduce fees during summer term

Was wondering if anybody else has their children and private schools (it's not a luxury for me as state schools in region are not up to scratch) and has had to deal with a school being completely unreasonable.

A large group of parents has sent them a few letters and so far their continued stance of no reduction in fees has continued.

If they reduce fees they’d have to increase them to make up for shortfall

Comment

If you've an option of not paying them, that's what I'd take - cancel any future payments; surely you must be protected if you are paying for a service that the vendor cannot provide?

Comment

If there is a large enough of parents then surely you could all collaborate to refuse to pay?

The fixed costs still remain but if they've furloughed the teaching staff then there could be a saving.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          If there is a large enough of parents then surely you could all collaborate to refuse to pay?

The fixed costs still remain but if they've furloughed the teaching staff then there could be a saving.
          They can't furlough the staff as some children will need to be taught (online if not in a classroom) - so the schools costs are probably 90% of their usual costs.

From what I'm hearing private schools are hurting a lot. Out of the 2 I know parents have children at, 1 has slashed their notice period from a term to zero if the parents can't afford it, the other has gone to half a term from a term.

So moan all you want but I suspect your options are to pay up or hope a local school has a place.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
            Was wondering if anybody else has their children and private schools (it's not a luxury for me as state schools in region are not up to scratch) and has had to deal with a school being completely unreasonable.

A large group of parents has sent them a few letters and so far their continued stance of no reduction in fees has continued.
            It is a luxury
            Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
            If you've an option of not paying them, that's what I'd take - cancel any future payments; surely you must be protected if you are paying for a service that the vendor cannot provide?
            What does the contract say? It varies from setting to setting what they legally do, and what they are choosing to do.

They are probably not able to claim insurance and they may be providing remote learning (?) in which case teachers might not be furloughed.
            We have seen a mix of reactions from schools/nurseries. Some are not charging, some are charging, some are demanding a retainer to hold a place, etc.

Friends of ours are taking the view if people don't pay the school might not exist and they want it to, so they are paying.

I think each place can play it how they feel. The best option is to talk to them, not demand things.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Is this because during lockdown you'll not be able to benefit from normal school activities?
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                They can't furlough the staff as some children will need to be taught (online if not in a classroom) - so the schools costs are probably 90% of their usual costs.
                They don't NEED to be taught (as I understand it) but many schools are choosing to provide remote learning. There is no requirement on any school to provide anything, except baby-sitting for key-worker kids (I think).

Comment

sell one of the bentleys

Comment

Who wants to buy a Bentley right now? You can't drive it anywhere and when this is over all the footballers will be selling theirs dirt cheap.

Comment

Working...
                    X