• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Private School Fees - School refusing to reduce fees during summer term

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It is a luxury because I'll bet the state schools are more than fine and they just aren't good enough for Tarquin and Allegra.
    Actually I'm working to try and get them into the best local grammar schools but that plan is a few years away yet....

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
      Don't worry, you can't help it.

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      If cash strapped state schools can provide remote learning resources surely a private school can...
      State schools are receiving their entire normal budget and relying on teachers and staff figuring this out, often working very long hours in the process. They also get assistance from local council/LEA hubs and so on who can roll out a new platform.

Private schools can do this too though, if they are still charging.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

A state school round here is taking all the free school meals money (£10-15 per child per week), then providing lunches consisting of a cruddy 30p sandwich...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          It is a luxury because I'll bet the state schools are more than fine and they just aren't good enough for Tarquin and Allegra.
          Agreed.

Smart kids, with the right parenting, will do just as well at a state school. Psychologically the reassurance of a parent paying for a service makes them feel the service is better. It's likely that the presentation of order makes parents feel their kid are better cared for.

It's much like when someone pays for a private hip operation and avoids the NHS - one of the most basic operations possible, very low rate of issues - or they have their psychological needs met privately for an intervention they don't even need. They feel better that someone is finally taking them seriously, "goodness, isn't private healthcare so much better than the NHS!" - No, it isn't. It's the illusion of fooling you into judging things by how they appear rather than how they truly are. All very Americanised.

Reality is: private schools, private hospitals and the rest in the UK are just out to make a quick buck and will try their best to make you feel you are making the right choice.

Solution:

Get with reality, get the kids in one of the local state schools and get them reading, learning instruments and the rest of your own myriad life experience and knowledge. I've yet to meet a bright privately educated kid who wouldn't have continued to be bright just because they were at a state school. The notion they are going to become a menace to society, perform worse, or have worse exam results at a state school is naive but it something that I see people capitalise on, as it's designed to do. It nags at the brain. You're doing well for your children if you send them to state school as they're going to be fraternising with all aspects of society and learning right from wrong in real life situations. Private schools are the reason we have a political class that lacks empathy and emotional intelligence; not a coincidence.

If they're as bright as you suspect then, if anything, they will outperform their peers at a state school! It's far easier to be bright and shine at a state school, plus the teachers love such kids as they always perform well.
          Last edited by rogerfederer; 6 April 2020, 16:19.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            A state school round here is taking all the free school meals money (£10-15 per child per week), then providing lunches consisting of a cruddy 30p sandwich...
            Oh name them and I'll pass the information on to the editor of the local rag (as I know her). For reference this is the actual rules they should be following Plans set out to support pupils eligible for free school meals - GOV.UK
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
              Agreed.

Smart kids, with the right parenting, will do just as well at a state school. Psychologically the reassurance of a parent paying for a service makes them feel the service is better. It's likely that the presentation of order makes parents feel their kid are better cared for.

It's much like when someone pays for a private hip operation and avoids the NHS - one of the most basic operations possible, very low rate of issues - or they have their psychological needs met privately for an intervention they don't even need. They feel better that someone is finally taking them seriously.

Reality is: private schools, private hospitals and the rest in the UK are just out to make a quick buck and will try their best to make you feel you are making the right choice.

Solution:
              Get with reality, get the kids in one of the local state schools and get them reading, learning instrument and the rest of your own accord and with your own knowledge and life experience. I've yet to meet a bright privately educated kid who wouldn't have continued to be bright just because they were at a state school.
              I've really met a privately educated adult who wouldn't have achieved as much (if not more) in state education. Heck I can think of only 1 whose current job justifies the money spent.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Don't worry, you can't help it.

aye, - right!

bampot.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  I've really met a privately educated adult who wouldn't have achieved as much (if not more) in state education. Heck I can think of only 1 whose current job justifies the money spent.
                  State schools do of course also do a good job of indoctrinating kids with the government's current views. For example, the change in view from taxation being a necessary evil to a moral duty, seismic shifts in climate and immigration and LGBT views, etc. Often these are good things but you don't get much choice... little Timmy or Tarquin IS going to come out with whichever world-view they're fed unless their parents are very active. e.g they're told Brexit is bad, open borders are good, avoiding tax legally is evil, blah blah.

Comment

All three kids in independent school. Two paid for by council. They are doing virtual lessons and I am very happy with what they are doing.

Well I will be happy as long as the two doing A levels get the grades needed for university. I don't want them hanging round the house annoying me.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                      aye, - right!

bampot.
                      Maybe try to keep the drinking until evening. It's hard when you're trapped in the flat with no garden and a family who hate you but still.

Comment

Working...
                      X