• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Private School Fees - School refusing to reduce fees during summer term

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Actually I'm working to try and get them into the best local grammar schools but that plan is a few years away yet....
    You will still need to send them to Saturday morning 11+ prep lessons for a couple of years before they take the exam and you may actually have put them at a disadvantage as a higher mark may be required... Down south the schools demographic intake is used as a criteria when calculating the appropriate pass mark.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
      Agreed.

Smart kids, with the right parenting, will do just as well at a state school. Psychologically the reassurance of a parent paying for a service makes them feel the service is better. It's likely that the presentation of order makes parents feel their kid are better cared for.

It's much like when someone pays for a private hip operation and avoids the NHS - one of the most basic operations possible, very low rate of issues - or they have their psychological needs met privately for an intervention they don't even need. They feel better that someone is finally taking them seriously, "goodness, isn't private healthcare so much better than the NHS!" - No, it isn't. It's the illusion of fooling you into judging things by how they appear rather than how they truly are. All very Americanised.

Reality is: private schools, private hospitals and the rest in the UK are just out to make a quick buck and will try their best to make you feel you are making the right choice.

Solution:

Get with reality, get the kids in one of the local state schools and get them reading, learning instruments and the rest of your own myriad life experience and knowledge. I've yet to meet a bright privately educated kid who wouldn't have continued to be bright just because they were at a state school. The notion they are going to become a menace to society, perform worse, or have worse exam results at a state school is naive but it something that I see people capitalise on, as it's designed to do. It nags at the brain. You're doing well for your children if you send them to state school as they're going to be fraternising with all aspects of society and learning right from wrong in real life situations. Private schools are the reason we have a political class that lacks empathy and emotional intelligence; not a coincidence.

If they're as bright as you suspect then, if anything, they will outperform their peers at a state school! It's far easier to be bright and shine at a state school, plus the teachers love such kids as they always perform well.
      I'm not a private school snob (I went to state school myself) but your post shows quite a high level of ignorance. There are state schools that are better than private schools and vice versa. We have state grammer schools which are better than 80% of private schools and we also have primary schools which excel above private schools. The reality is you may end up with a very poor school with a bad rating and at that point you will be forced to decide on a substandard school or go for a private school (provided it is worth paying for).

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        You will still need to send them to Saturday morning 11+ prep lessons for a couple of years before they take the exam and you may actually have put them at a disadvantage as a higher mark may be required... Down south the schools demographic intake is used as a criteria when calculating the appropriate pass mark.
        Yeah we have a tutor on top. Will look at private school options as a backup. Our view is that primary school is the foundation so secondary school doesn't have to be of the same standard.

Comment

I'm not a private school snob (I went to state school myself) but your post shows quite a high level of ignorance. There are state schools that are better than private schools and vice versa. We have state grammer schools which are better than 80% of private schools and we also have primary schools which excel above private schools. The reality is you may end up with a very poor school with a bad rating and at that point you will be forced to decide on a substandard school or go for a private school (provided it is worth paying for).
          Pay up then and stop whinging

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

And sometimes it’s not the school but bad parenting - people who are cash rich, time poor, etc.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              Pay up then and stop whinging

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
              We are doing. We are not paying for having to home school though!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                And sometimes it’s not the school but bad parenting - people who are cash rich, time poor, etc.
                Absolutely. I don't believe in paying for the sake of it. It's about doing research on all options and deciding whether it's worth going private or not. A bit like an assessment on NHS vs Private depending on the case.

Comment

or you move house and ensure you are in the correct catchment area for the best / appropriate schools in the area

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    or you move house and ensure you are in the correct catchment area for the best / appropriate schools in the area
                    If you have that option and/or are able to afford the houses in that area. For practical reasons this was difficult and the schools we looked into had such a large waiting list for those extremely local it wasn’t worthwhile..... As I said, many factors

Comment

If you have that option and/or are able to afford the houses in that area. For practical reasons this was difficult and the schools we looked into had such a large waiting list for those extremely local it wasn’t worthwhile..... As I said, many factors
                      You are a contractor surely out of all people we are the ones who could afford to do so

Comment

Working...
                      X