• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Private School Fees - School refusing to reduce fees during summer term

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Was wondering if anybody else has their children and private schools (it's not a luxury for me as state schools in region are not up to scratch) and has had to deal with a school being completely unreasonable.

A large group of parents has sent them a few letters and so far their continued stance of no reduction in fees has continued.
    If your child had to be off long term sick would you expect them to hold your child's place & partially refund you? You can either pay up or take your child out altogether.
    I don't have kids in private school, but I am still paying everything I was before because I want the businesses to still be there when all this is over. Although, I'm quite lucky that I haven't been terminated or furloughed. It's a difficult time for everyone but they're running a business, not a charity.
    Last edited by KinooOrKinog; 7 April 2020, 06:48.
    If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Was wondering if anybody else has their children and private schools (it's not a luxury for me as state schools in region are not up to scratch) and has had to deal with a school being completely unreasonable.

A large group of parents has sent them a few letters and so far their continued stance of no reduction in fees has continued.
      Ours has knocked 10% off but they’ve also furloughed almost all of their teachers at this moment so seems like they’re having their cake and eating it. I for one don’t think it’s a luxury having the kids in a private school will ensure they don’t land up as losers like Eek
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Ours has knocked 10% off but they’ve also furloughed almost all of their teachers at this moment so seems like they’re having their cake and eating it. I for one don’t think it’s a luxury having the kids in a private school will ensure they don’t land up as losers like Eek
        GPWM
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
          It's a difficult time for everyone but they're running a business, not a charity.
          I thought most UK private schools were registered as charities - not businesses.

I can see the case for payment of enough fees to keep the school running (some salaries, maintenance etc) But if there's no "major" teaching, then some staff should be furloughed, fees reduced etc.

--Jatinder

Comment

If you have that option and/or are able to afford the houses in that area. For practical reasons this was difficult and the schools we looked into had such a large waiting list for those extremely local it wasn’t worthwhile..... As I said, many factors
            If you buy into an area with good schools, you will pay a premium, but as long as the surrounding schools remain good, you will get that premium back when you sell up when the blighters go to university.

Contrast with private school fees, which are a bit like renting, dead money.

HTH BIDI

Comment

The apple never falls far from the tree.

Comment

My child's school have suspended next terms fee's on the basis they don't expect to be open at all until September . If the school does open next term then the pro-rataed amount will be charged. No discounts have been offered or expected for the last two weeks.
                Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Mine has placed all borders on the day pupil rate and further reduced the day pupil rate by 20% while they operate remote learning via Teams until such point the school can re-open.

Comment

I have smart hard-working kids who thrive in the local state primary school and who will do likewise in the local state secondary school. School is providing work to do, but we're mostly ignoring that and doing a combination of interesting maths, gardening and raspberry pi projects. A real chance to get a proper education.

Comment

Some call it a luxury, others call it a sacrifice.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X