• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Private School Fees - School refusing to reduce fees during summer term

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    You are a contractor surely out of all people we are the ones who could afford to do so
    I can certainly afford a 3 bed semi in that area but not the kind of house I have now... for one I have a client next door to me who I do some work for on the side (been doing that for years), that more than covers the fees + allows me to be close to all the amentites and family.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      If you buy into an area with good schools, you will pay a premium, but as long as the surrounding schools remain good, you will get that premium back when you sell up when the blighters go to university.

Contrast with private school fees, which are a bit like renting, dead money.

HTH BIDI
      Depends how much value you attach to education and if you feel it is an investment in it's own right. Comes down to what the school actually offers and the experience of parents past and present. Like I said - stupid to judge a state school on the basis it's a state school and the same for a private school. Each should be taken on it's own merit.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
        Depends how much value you attach to education and if you feel it is an investment in it's own right. Comes down to what the school actually offers and the experience of parents past and present. Like I said - stupid to judge a state school on the basis it's a state school and the same for a private school. Each should be taken on it's own merit.
        Taking our LEA, Bury, Bury Grammar School has always had better GSCE and A Level results than any other academic institute, but you'd expect that. It's a fee-paying independent school, where you're getting arguably the best teachers, massive investment from rich alumni, parents who are more invested in both time and money in their child's education because of the financial sacrifice they're making. There will be some pupils that achieve at state schools, there always are, but the average level of achievement is far lower. This is where the old system of apprenticeships worked better; too many kids are pushed towards a degree these days when they should be pushed towards something else, such as a trade.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Taking our LEA, Bury, Bury Grammar School has always had better GSCE and A Level results than any other academic institute, but you'd expect that. It's a fee-paying independent school, where you're getting arguably the best teachers, massive investment from rich alumni, parents who are more invested in both time and money in their child's education because of the financial sacrifice they're making. There will be some pupils that achieve at state schools, there always are, but the average level of achievement is far lower. This is where the old system of apprenticeships worked better; too many kids are pushed towards a degree these days when they should be pushed towards something else, such as a trade.
          Yet if you look at Buckinghamshire or Skipton say, the state Grammar schools offer the best opportunities because that is where the parents push them.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

My children's private school gave 20% reduction for this term and the mandatory £500 for lunches was scrapped as well
            Next term will be back to the old fees no matter what the situation is (+5% increase)

Comment

On BBC News front page today: Coronavirus: 'I was asked for GBP430 a month for my shut nursery' - BBC News

But she says she will have to pay as "it's impossible" to get a full time nursery place where she lives.
              (some) businesses will use this opportunity to say "like it or lump it" in that situation. Capitalism in action.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                On BBC News front page today: Coronavirus: 'I was asked for GBP430 a month for my shut nursery' - BBC News

(some) businesses will use this opportunity to say "like it or lump it" in that situation. Capitalism in action.
                You're on 80% pay for doing nothing but you expect to save 100% of your nursery fees? Sounds more like selfishness than capitalism.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  You're on 80% pay for doing nothing but you expect to save 100% of your nursery fees? Sounds more like selfishness than capitalism.
                  You haven't read the article, few people are asking to save 100% on fees.

It's capitalism that a business can say "well demand is very high, people WILL pay 100% to keep their place". If demand was less high, people would just leave and find a place later. Hence: capitalism 101. Even MF knows this stuff.

You sound like a right Corbynite whinging about "fairness". If we're going to argue that point, the teachers are also getting 80% to do nothing, and the nursery is getting 100% of funded place money from the government without having to open.
                  If your nursery has a lot of government funded kids, it's not so bad. If it is mostly private 'pupils' you are loosing out.
                  In theory, some nurseries could furlough staff and end up better off.
                  Last edited by d000hg; 7 April 2020, 11:34.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    You haven't read the article, few people are asking to save 100% on fees.

It's capitalism that a business can say "well demand is very high, people WILL pay 100% to keep their place". If demand was less high, people would just leave and find a place later. Hence: capitalism 101. Even MF knows this stuff.

You sound like a right Corbynite whinging about "fairness"
                    Idiot. Far from a Corbynite and I have read the article. Read it yesterday. Some people want everything for nothing.

Comment

You may have had the page open in your browser but you didn't understand it. Because paying 100% for 0% of a service is literally the exact opposite of "getting everything for nothing".

Try telling your client "I am not going to work during CV but you have to pay me otherwise someone else gets me". Let us know how that gets on.

If you want to support local businesses to help them, good for you though.

Comment

Working...
                      X