• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If anyone is struggling to get hold of bread flour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DP is from swindon. He can't afford fortnum and mason.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
      DP is from swindon. He can't afford fortnum and mason.
      Does he drive a yellow Audi?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I'm struggling to get fresh oysters, foie gras, whole fresh lobster and black truffle.
        Have your man speak to my man.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          We created a account with a wholesaler. Does mean buying 16kg sacks!
          Exactly. There was a good article the other day that explained that most flour comes in 16/25kg bags for commercial use not the 1kg bags in stores. Hence demand went up they didn’t increase it for stores as they have to swap the machinery over .

On the flip side I’ve bought 25kg bags and been selling a kilo at a time on EBay for a HUGE markup!
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Well I’m down to my last 3K bag of strong white.
            I do have some 00 for pizza some plain for sauces and pancakes and self raising for baking cakes.
            I use a lot of flour since I got my stand mixer.
            But as most bread recipes I do, need around 500 to 700 grams of strong white a standard bag of 1.5 kilos doesn’t really stretch very far.
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
              They've hiked the price a bit...
              A bit! That's outrageous. It's 60p a bag in Lidl.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Exactly. There was a good article the other day that explained that most flour comes in 16/25kg bags for commercial use not the 1kg bags in stores. Hence demand went up they didn’t increase it for stores as they have to swap the machinery over .

On the flip side I’ve bought 25kg bags and been selling a kilo at a time on EBay for a HUGE markup!
                The price imbalance means that unscrupulous dealers are now selling flour cut with cocaine...

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by ittony View Post
                  A bit! That's outrageous. It's 60p a bag in Lidl.
                  Lidl must be the exception then, because most shops have been cleared out.

And, BTW, if you think £3-odd for 1.5kg is outrageous, check out prices on eBay.
                  Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                    Lidl must be the exception then, because most shops have been cleared out.

And, BTW, if you think £3-odd for 1.5kg is outrageous, check out prices on eBay.
                    I just did There are some serious mark ups.
                    Asda own brand flour is between 40 to 60p per Kg (non Organic)
                    Allinsons is about 1.33 per Kg
                    £19 for a 1.5Kg bag of Strong White Allinsons on ebay.

Capitalism at its finest
                    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Never use flour as too lazy to bake. Think there's a years old bag in the cupboard somewhere, probably got weevils in it but a bit of added protein should be healthy.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X