• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Possible advanced virus treatments we haven't heard much about

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible advanced virus treatments we haven't heard much about

Amid all the round-the-clock reporting I have on in the background while working from home, and the news sites, one thing I haven't heard mentioned yet is advanced techniques for assisted breathing.

It seems the majority of corona patients who flake out do so because breathing even oxygen through a mask becomes too arduous due to fluid building up in the lungs.

But what about the equivalent of an "iron lung", to actually bypass the lungs and how about Liquid Breathing technology, as seen in that film The Abyss?

Any thoughts? I can only assume that if there aren't enough masks then there certainly won't be enough iron lungs or other advanced equipment.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

No, not quite. They mostly die because the body has been over-stressed by the immune reaction to the virus leading to organ failure. Ventilation is to ensure a full supply of oxygen to the body, in effect helping to fuel the body's own resources and to allow it time to defeat the virus through the immune system. So while the lungs are affected it is not the primary direct cause of death.

Iron lungs don't help: they augment or replace the chest muscles which had been damaged by disease, mainly polio, that stopped you breathing. they don't add capacity, unlike ventilation.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Artificial lung - Wikipedia

By the time you need that you've probably had it.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Amid all the round-the-clock reporting I have on in the background while working from home, and the news sites, one thing I haven't heard mentioned yet is advanced techniques for assisted breathing.

It seems the majority of corona patients who flake out do so because breathing even oxygen through a mask becomes too arduous due to fluid building up in the lungs.

But what about the equivalent of an "iron lung", to actually bypass the lungs and how about Liquid Breathing technology, as seen in that film The Abyss?

Any thoughts? I can only assume that if there aren't enough masks then there certainly won't be enough iron lungs or other advanced equipment.
        Strange, I had been wondering why the iron-lung has not been used.

DIY?
        DIY Iron Lung | Modern Mechanix
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

A membrane oxygenator might help. That infuses your blood with oxygen and removes co2.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            A membrane oxygenator might help. That infuses your blood with oxygen and removes co2.
            They've got them and are using them. Most serious cases only, naturally.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              It seems the majority of corona patients who flake out do so because breathing even oxygen through a mask becomes too arduous due to fluid building up in the lungs..
              As others said, the body's immune response is what gets you in combination with the dead tissue piling up at the bottom of your lungs following the pneumonia. Even a ventilator is not much good at this stage as your body's ability to absorb the oxygen is diminished.

Watch this video I posted yesterday. There is literally nothing doctors can do. .. and it is scary. Too many Dr's in the US are working without proper PPE too.

HOW COVID-19 KILLS--I'm a Surgeon--And Why We Can't Save You

Last edited by scooterscot; 7 April 2020, 08:40.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Again, if your lungs are full of dead tissue, then there is the small problem of not having functioning lungs after recovery.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  As others said, the body's immune response is what gets in combination with the dead tissue piling up at the bottom of your lungs following the pneumonia. Even a ventilator is not much good at this stage as your body's ability to absorb the oxygen is diminished.

Watch this video I posted yesterday. There is literally nothing doctors can do. .. and it is scary. Too many Dr's in the US are working without proper PPE too.

HOW COVID-19 KILLS--I'm a Surgeon--And Why We Can't Save You

And then sepsis hits you.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    And then sepsis hits you.
                    And, if you're lucky, you're in a coma and drugged up to the eyeballs with morphine so you're no longer in pain and your body can peacefully go to sleep.
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                    X