• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

one for our seniors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one for our seniors

Learn PDP-11 Assembly For Fun But Probably No Profit | Hackaday

Learning a new skill is fun, especially one that could land you a new job. We don’t think you’ll find too much demand for PDP-11 assembly language programmers, but if it still interests you, check out [ChibiAkumas’s] video that starts a series on that subject for “absolute beginners.”The PDP-11 is a venerable computer, but you can still find simulators ranging from SIMH to browser-based virtual devices with front panels. If you want real hardware, there is a PDP-11 on a chip that is still around (or you can score the real chips, sometimes) and there are some nice hardware simulations, too.

Like a lot of machines in its day, the PDP-11 was most comfortable with octal or base 8. That’s a bit odd these days, but it is easy enough to figure out to express for example 377 instead of FF.
    The text part of the tutorial is a little — um — colorful. A “reading view” like the one you get from Mercury reader or in some browsers can help if it bothers you. You might also try PrintFriendly.
    Last edited by vetran; 8 April 2020, 09:01. Reason: fixed font
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

I must be old, I can hardly read that!
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

What an awful font and font colour!

Comment

i'll have no truck with these newfangled minicomputers!

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          i'll have no truck with these newfangled minicomputers!

Totally agree. I use my ZX81 to visit CUK.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            What an awful font and font colour!

The kids of today...

... I had to use one of these.

Last edited by Paddy; 8 April 2020, 11:36.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
              I must be old, I can hardly read that!
              Too much self abuse. The rest of us can read it fine...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Too much self abuse. The rest of us can read it fine...
                I don't need to self abuse. I'm abused enough already!
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                  I don't need to self abuse. I'm abused enough already!
                  MrsZig says

Comment

As for PDP11 assembler, I'd rather learn ancient Etruscan or Egyptian hieroglyphs. They'd be about as much use.

But I'd definitely be up for a decent modern Intel assembler tutorial site. I did know it pretty well at one point, being well on the way to write an Intel disassembler. But that was years ago, and it must have become far more complicated these days, what with all the new intructions they've introduced.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X