• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A First for HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A First for HMRC

Well, makes a big change for them to be pursuing actual criminals for once, I guess

“We are going to be paying out a vast sum of money in a rapid period of time,” Harra told the Treasury select committee on Wednesday. “Any scheme like this is a target of organised crime. Any scheme that pays out I’m afraid attracts criminals that want to defraud it and people that are genuinely entitled to it who inflate their claims.”
    Fraudsters likely to target furlough scheme, says HMRC chief | Politics | The Guardian
    The Chunt of Chunts.

It will happen as sure as the sun comes up in the morning. Look at the number of people trying to cash in on the Greenfell tragedy and I bet they've only got the tip of the iceberg so far.

This one is open season. Every man and his dog is going to be trying to get in on it.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      It will happen as sure as the sun comes up in the morning. Look at the number of people trying to cash in on the Greenfell tragedy and I bet they've only got the tip of the iceberg so far.

This one is open season. Every man and his dog is going to be trying to get in on it.
      Very true and plenty of time on their hands to make it happen.

Oh....... Hang on
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Fraudsters likely to target furlough scheme, says HMRC chief | Politics | The Guardian

Or, to reword it:
        HMRC promise to target furlough scheme
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Surprised they did not ask for personal guarantee from Directors.

“ The cost to the taxpayer over three months is estimated at £30-40bn.”

Coronavirus: More than 9 million expected to be furloughed - BBC News

Plus massive tax losses (duties etc) over shutdown period

Comment

I'm still struggling to believe they can even implement this , without any checks and balances, with the limited resources they have.

My personal bet is it's preparing us for the fact that they cannot facilitate it at the pace it is needed, so they will use 'fraud prevention' as an excuse as to why they aren't delivering on it.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Surprised they did not ask for personal guarantee from Directors.

“ The cost to the taxpayer over three months is estimated at £30-40bn.”

Coronavirus: More than 9 million expected to be furloughed - BBC News

Plus massive tax losses (duties etc) over shutdown period
              Interesting parallel in history to the "Global Financial Crisis" - where we spent vastly higher amounts on bailing out the financial sector (minimum 850bn , max 1.3t, yep that's right - EIGHT HUNDRED and FIFTY BILLION) , which we then ripped back with austerity to the public.

Conversely Australia didn't protect the banks and instead sent every single household a thousand dollar cheque (at least once, but I think on memory it was twice, once at a random time and once at christmas).

Keynesian economics at its very basic - but they weathered the storm pretty damn well.

So, I'm more shocked at how LITTLE it costs to prop up the people for 3 months , compared to the money we'll take out of the public purse to protect the private financial sector.

Please someone, prove this all BS!

Anyone complaining about the fact we will be paying for 3 months of protection of lives and wellbeing ; should balance that against the money we literally threw at the financial sector and construction sector - just to be funnelled off to shareholders and the executive.

Comment

Faking employment records of family members will be fun. They're probably so thick that they'll claim they've been employed for years and then get stung with a massive back tax bill.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Faking employment records of family members will be fun. They're probably so thick that they'll claim they've been employed for years and then get stung with a massive back tax bill.
                  Can I claim employment for my cats as well?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Can I claim employment for my cats as well?
                    I thought everyone was, I've just bought 2
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X