• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I have changed my mind...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Twaddle. We have a 100% chance of dying.

Also, we don't have a 10% chance of a covid-19 infection being fatal.

Next time, provide a link to your source so we can either mock you, or explain to you why your conclusion is wrong, and then mock you.

Actually I think you'll find stats are showing you're more likely to get it if your Black or Asian. White privilege wins again.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      I was for the lock-down but now I believe it is almost useless.

Sainsbury's near me has sent home two check-out staff who tested positive. (I presume tested privately) Also reported locally is large increase in infected adults and children. God knows how many they unknowingly infected
      Tested privately? Really? Who is providing such a facility?

Sounds like someone read this on Facebook and posted as fact.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        Stats published today show men between 45-60 (most of us) have 10% chance of dying
        Link please. Is that 10% of all men between 45-60 or 10% of those who catch Covid?
        Last edited by Paralytic; 9 April 2020, 08:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
          Tested privately? Really? Who is providing such a facility?

Sounds like someone read this on Facebook and posted as fact.
          No need for Facebook, I know the staff and management well. Now FO!
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            There is an alternative. Testing. How can you know treat a disease without know who has it?

The lack of testing in the UK is astonishing. Calling my elderly mother every day making sure she does not leave the house.

Quite sure this isn't over until a vaccine is widely available.
            In your opinion. In the real world, it's hardly surprising there isn't mass testing for a virus that didn't exist 4 months ago. And since we're on lockdown, how do you propose testing everybody? Do we give testing kits to postmen to take a swab through the letterbox?
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              In your opinion. In the real world, it's hardly surprising there isn't mass testing for a virus that didn't exist 4 months ago. And since we're on lockdown, how do you propose testing everybody? Do we give testing kits to postmen to take a swab through the letterbox?
              Originally posted by Matt Hancock
              The Government is committed to mass testing: our overall ambition is to provideenough swab tests for everyone that needs one
              Not clear though as to exactly who is 'everyone that needs one' but it seems primarily NHS and care workers:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...g-strategy.pdf

Covid-19 Testing in the UK: A Primer | Institute for Global Change

I just noticed that locally, they now have a bus that is now going around all old people's and care homes which is testing the people in them as that seems to be an area which I think is going to hit Germany hard soon.
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                I was for the lock-down but now I believe it is almost useless.

Sainsbury's near me has sent home two check-out staff who tested positive. (I presume tested privately) Also reported locally is large increase in infected adults and children. God knows how many they unknowingly infected

It seems I am now in a hot-spot for COVID-19. What is the point of lock-down?

Mods, please move to General. Thanks.
                Everywhere’s a hot-spot for COVID-19. That’s what “pandemic” means

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  Link please. Is that 10% of all men between 45-60 or 10% of those who catch Covid?
                  Or 10% of those who end up in an ICU? Or ventilated?
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    I think it's fair to say some countries have a better industrial capability to ramp up when required. Germany has been exceptionally impressive in this.

The UK has been very poor, let's face it. The prediction of the UK having 40% of deaths across Europe seems unduly high, but by the same token it's possible that the total deaths per 1000 of the population does look to be high.

If the herd immunity was a valid theory then next winter this would provide some protection, but I'm hearing from doctors that they've discharged patients and a month later the patient is now back and on oxygen again in their ICU as the virus has returned. They had at least two negative tests before being discharged last time, so either the viral low is incredibly low and undetectable by the tests currently used of these people have been reinfected. The former seems more plausible, but it does raise the obvious point: we don't yet know how to ensure people have zero viral load whatsoever prior to discharge from hospital. Worrying.

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Or 10% of those who end up in an ICU? Or ventilated?
                    To add to this:
                    Some of the stats don't provide an explanation as to why the figure is as stated. For example, more females aged 85 and above die, but this is obviously the case because the majority of people aged 85+ are female anyway, therefore that's why more females are dying above this age of covid19.

I agree that it looks grim for males aged 50+. Due to the time lag of stats and the way in which they have to be compiled we won't know for another month how the current period has fared. It doesn't look good so far.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer
                      To add to this:
                      Some of the stats don't provide an explanation as to why the figure is as stated. For example, more females aged 85 and above die, but this is obviously the case because the majority of people aged 85+ are female anyway, therefore that's why more females are dying above this age of covid19.

I agree that it looks grim for males aged 50+. Due to the time lag of stats and the way in which they have to be compiled we won't know for another month how the current period has fared. It doesn't look good so far.
                      I couldn't have picked a worse time to turn 50, you mean?
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X