• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency payment schedule - no morals?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by likewise View Post
    Can anyone tell me if im in the wrong or not by thinking this agency has no morals.
    I have been contracting for over a decade, so im not new to this game believe me.
    If, after contracting for over ten years, you still believe that an agency should adhere to some kind of moral code, then you are still incredibly naïve.

Comment

LOL ....my god, you two probably work for the agency! like i said, i asked for peoples opinion on the agency and im the one getting scrutinised! ha ha, this is bizarre! I did want to know peoples opinion on here because a couple of other contractors i had spoken to said they would have been furious and would have approached the local MP's of the agency local area and where i live, along with the local newspapers in both areas but i thought that was a bit much, it appears no sympathy from most people on here. Right im off, ill check back on here tomorrow, before i end up wasting my evening potentially bickering on the internet.....
      Taking the emotion out of this, what you're asking is for the agency to take on a financial risk; they almost certainly won't have been paid yet by the client, so by paying you early they are taking a financial risk on your behalf. Had you a long term relationship with this agency, and they place you at lots of clients and therefore make good fees from you, then they may take the risk. But it sounds like you've only performed this one short contract for them so why do you think they are morally obliged to risk their own money on you?

Re your financial situation, and this is going to sound really preachy, but you need to start to look at your finances in a more mature way. Build up a warchest and don't spend every penny on luxuries. 10 years of contracting you should be very well off and not running out of cash within a month.

Like I say very preachy, but I don't think you'll get much sympathy anywhere if you tell people you spent all your cash on a holiday and you're upset that someone else is not taking a financial risk on your behalf.

I really hope you have enough cash left over for VAT and Corp Tax (assuming you go through a LTD). And if so, why couldn't you take a director's loan from your company until your invoice has been paid?
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

I can't believe you didn't have a credit card or something to pay to commute to a new job ? Couldn't you have borrowed a bit of cash of relative or a friend ?

You really are in the wrong place to be looking for sympathy lol

Comment

LOL ....my god, you two probably work for the agency!
          NLUK works for HMRC (well work is a very strong term). I work selling payment schemes - I hope one day to make as much commission as OG did on the Dutch Antillies one...

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
            By the time you moan your MP (they don't care), local paper (no story) & their granny you'll have been paid. Not really the agency's fault you p1ssed all your money away.
            Lets be fair. He spent quite a bit on expensive holidays and big nights out. The rest he p1ssed away...

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
              I can't believe you didn't have a credit card or something to pay to commute to a new job ? Couldn't you have borrowed a bit of cash of relative or a friend ?

You really are in the wrong place to be looking for sympathy lol
              But the right place to give us a damned good laugh!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                I would never have become a contractor without a good warchest.
                Coward! I became a contractor with a £5K debt, back in 1995... But I was unemployed at the time.

Can anyone tell me if im in the wrong or not by thinking this agency has no morals.
                No agency has morals. I didn't need to read the rest.

I agree with the others. Anyone who hasn't got a decent level of savings after ten years contracting only has themselves to blame. In my case I made sure all my debts were paid off and I built up reasonable savings before I started enjoying my wealth. 25 years later I still maintain enough to live on for twelve months with no work, and have substantial savings and investments in various places for my retirement.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

agency has no morals
                  Let me stop you right there.

Comment

If you're looking for an agency with no morals, just pick one at random.
                    If you're looking for an agency with some morals, best of luck, but it's not how I'd choose to spend the next 30 years...
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X