• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coronavirus: UK could be 'worst affected' country in Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    If there was a country out there doing it worse, I'd be all over it. However, the UK is out in front at the minute...
    Ah yes. I must have missed all those posts you did criticizing the Italian and Spanish governments over the last 3 weeks. Or do you just do that on ContractorES?

And your insightful comments around the suppression of the initial reporting and response by the Chinese authorities are legendary ( as in "They are a legend, they didn't really happen". )

We all look forward to you slating the governments of Pakistan and Yemen when this disease it really starts ripping through the world and the body-count heads on up to 1,000,000

I like the attempt at character defamation after you read something you did not agree with - proper wail indoctrination!

I've not attempted any character defamation. I'm merely stating the obvious. You spend your time looking out for negative UK based stories and then post them on CUK.

You've done it for at least 3 years. You do it on a daily basis.

If that's not an addiction then what is?

Does it make you feel superior? Is that it? Does picking up some news story then focusing on the downside make you feel clever? Do you think that moving to Germany somehow made you "better"?

Or are you still carrying a chip on your shoulder for some imagined slight and this is your twisted way of proving you are "right"?

Whatever your reason for doing it is the problem I have with it is that it is making CUK just another tedious forum.

Should have thrown my house price in there somewhere for the topping.
    Feel free if that makes you feel good. I don't give a s**** about your house price.

Comment

Germany is managing the situation better than the UK. But the UK is managing it better than the US.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I see that it is countries that have nutters as leaders tend to be doing worse with handling this crisis, from saying it's a hoax to trying to ignore it. Look at the state of countries where these people are in charge, look at Trump, Johnson, Bolsonaro, Erdogan, Lukaschenka, etc. They also all have something else in common which may turn the tide of politics once this is over
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Germany is managing the situation better than the UK. But the UK is managing it better than the US.

But how is Germany doing so much better than the UK? Because they listened and took advice from a UK professor. Yup you read that correctly. Quite something isn't it? Germany listens to the scientists while we listen to an unqualified populist, Dominic Cummings. For as long as government continues to listen to the wailers, we'll make wrong turns at every corner.

Sir Jeremy James Farrar OBE FRCP FRS FMedSci is a British medical researcher who since 2013 has been director of the Wellcome Trust. He was previously a professor of tropical medicine at the University of Oxford.
          Coronavirus: 'UK likely to be worst affected country in Europe' - BBC News

Sir Jeremy Farrar, director of the Wellcome Trust, who sits on the government’s scientific advisory committee, said that the UK could learn lessons from Germany, which introduced mass testing at an early stage.

Matt Hancock, the health secretary, called it a sombre day, and questions mounted over Britain’s strategy and whether enough protective equipment was being supplied to frontline NHS workers.

On a positive note, Yvonne Doyle, the medical director of Public Health England, said there were signs that the number in hospital with coronavirus in London was beginning to stabilise but she added: “On the other hand we start to see other areas increasing, particularly the northwest and Yorkshire. It’s very important that the message about staying home and social distancing is adhered to because we are certainly not past this crisis’s damage yet.”

Sir Jeremy also raised concerns about evidence in South Korea that people were becoming reinfected with the virus, which he said could have “massive ramifications” for the development of a potential vaccine. He added that, although a vaccine may be ready by the summer, it could take months to develop the manufacturing capacity needed to distribute it.

He told The Andrew Marr Show on BBC One: “The numbers in the UK have continued to go up. I do hope we are coming close to the number of new infections reducing. But, yes, the UK is likely to be one of the worst, if not the worst, affected countries in Europe.”

Play Video
          He said that Germany had introduced testing at a remarkable rate, adding that the country’s mass testing regime had given it a “critical six to eight weeks” to prepare its health system for the pandemic.

“It is still early in this epidemic. What is critical for Germany is they continue that testing and isolation,” he said. “Inevitably the UK will learn lessons from how Germany has managed to control the epidemic to date.”
          Death toll passes 10,000 in cruel test of strategy | News | The Times
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            I see that it is countries that have nutters as leaders tend to be doing worse with handling this crisis, from saying it's a hoax to trying to ignore it. Look at the state of countries where these people are in charge, look at Trump, Johnson, Bolsonaro, Erdogan, Lukaschenka, etc. They also all have something else in common which may turn the tide of politics once this is over
            Add Putin to this

Comment

Did he say how he defines "worst" ?

I trust that in the end the measure or "worst" will take into account factors such as population density (is it any wonder that New Zealand and Finland are doing such a great job?).

This is the same expert who in January agreed with an article in the New York Times that there is no evidence that the virus can be "readily" spread by humans... and he now billed as one of the government's top advisors?

Seems like he has blood on his hands and wants to blame the government instead of himself

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                Did he say how he defines "worst" ?

I trust that in the end the measure or "worst" will take into account factors such as population density (is it any wonder that New Zealand and Finland are doing such a great job?).

This is the same expert who in January agreed with an article in the New York Times that there is no evidence that the virus can be "readily" spread by humans... and he now billed as one of the government's top advisors?

Seems like he has blood on his hands and wants to blame the government instead of himself
                Please stop putting facts in the way of a political rant from scootysnot.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Add Putin to this
                  China have 105 new cases the majority come from a region that shares it's border with Russia....

Btw Where is Putin?
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    China have 105 new cases the majority come from a region that shares it's border with Russia....

Btw Where is Putin?
                    Putin is in his secret bunker.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      If there was a country out there doing it worse, I'd be all over it. However, the UK is out in front at the minute...
                      Ok, I'll bite !

Lets see:

The U S of A - easy winner, Trump is no longer even funny, I could hardly laugh at Jonathan Pie Lockdown 4, because its getting beyond funny.
                      China (blatently lying, reports are that crematoriums were 24/7 for weeks - and the evidence on Liveleak did suggest that, with scenes out of "Soylent Green" (scenes of full industrial diggers, without scoops I should add!)
                      Russia - no way, just no way are they dealing with this
                      Brazil - nuff said
                      Ecuador
                      Arguably Spain (lockdown is now relaxed, we can all see it's too early, there's no evidence to suggest they've even peaked).
                      Venezula
                      Guatemala
                      Jamaica
                      Sweden (arguably - time will tell, but I wouldn't be very happy if I lived there with my family)

I think we could go on, but we'd be indicating countries that have reduced capability to deal, but food for thought - Iran, India.

That's not saying I'm satisfied with the UK response - but you can't say we are the worst out of that lot, surely??

*disclaimer, I'd like full lockdown of genuinely only key workers - businesses to adapt to social distancing and remote working . The estimated cost of furloughing 50% of non key, for 3 months is 30-40bn , so do a 100% at 80bn for 6 months and it still wont cost even a fifth of what we threw at the financial sector during the last financial crisis (estimated to be minimum 850bn, max 1.2 trillion). *

Lockdown till we have at least some method of treatment that isn't bung a sedative in you, hook you up to a ventilator and cross your fingers ; or a vaccine.

Some good news was the professor leading the vaccine efforts at Oxford saying shes 80% sure we can have a vaccine by September/October. If she's 80% with her limited resources, then it's looking good given we've (far too many) competitors working on vaccines.

Comment

Working...
                      X