• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New NHS App for Contact Chasing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    But what about when i go to Spain, Germany or France, there is no interoperability there, although the Scottish app uses the same technology as the Irish one there is no interoperability.

It's almost like they are individual countries with devolved governments making similar decisions, but yet it's the English and Wales NHS that are being torn to strips for theirs.
    In terms of tearing to strips, when did the English app go live?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      In terms of tearing to strips, when did the English app go live?
      Two weeks after the Scottish one which no one has criticised how long that one took to release even though the Scottish one is just a rebadged Irish one available since July
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Two weeks after the Scottish one which no one has criticised how long that one took to release even though the Scottish one is just a rebadged Irish one available since July
        Do you think some of the criticism stems from the Health Secretary promising in April would be world-beating when launched in May?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Do you think some of the criticism stems from the Health Secretary promising in April would be world-beating when launched in May?
          Yep this government promises and doesn't deliver.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Can't argue with that
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Can't argue with that
              And there is no need to boast about world-beating and moonshots. It's just daft.

Comment

The handsets must have Android 6.0 (released in 2015) or iOS 13.5 (released in May 2020) and Bluetooth 4.0 or higher. That excludes the iPhone 6 and older versions of Apple's handsets.
                Just read this about the versions of IoS and Android that the app works on. Seems a little limiting! I'm on Android 4 so not even an option for me.

And with IoS only as recent as may 2020 ..... hmmmm, hope the Tories are not hoping for a big take up
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  Just read this about the versions of IoS and Android that the app works on. Seems a little limiting! I'm on Android 4 so not even an option for me.

And with IoS only as recent as may 2020 ..... hmmmm, hope the Tories are not hoping for a big take up
                  As far as I can see, all the other ones require the same level of OS'es to run on and I suspect that is due to the API from Apple and Google to allow the app to run. The main downside I can see to the English one, is there is too much in it, from scanning QR codes to the traffic light system and so on which I think is not needed. All the other ones just do contact tracking, nothing else so are very lightweight. I still don't understand why they just didn't take one that already exists, is opensource and is known to work. They would then be able to talk to at least some other contact tracing apps
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    As far as I can see, all the other ones require the same level of OS'es to run on and I suspect that is due to the API from Apple and Google to allow the app to run. The main downside I can see to the English one, is there is too much in it, from scanning QR codes to the traffic light system and so on which I think is not needed. All the other ones just do contact tracking, nothing else so are very lightweight. I still don't understand why they just didn't take one that already exists, is opensource and is known to work. They would then be able to talk to at least some other contact tracing apps
                    What I would like to see is a website showing active positive tests by post code/town, that I can look at before I travel. Surely we know the post codes of those testing positive, this is in a DB somewhere, so can't be that hard to link to Google Maps. Then, if I want to go to (say) Weston-Super-Mud for an ice-cream I can check beforehand to see if there have been any spikes there recently.

The app is OK to tell me after the event if I might have come in contact with someone, but be better to have some info beforehand so that areas can be avoided.
                    Last edited by Whorty; 24 September 2020, 12:39.
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      I disagree, I think they've got the balance of functionality just right. In fact, it may prove to have been a stroke of genius to add the QR venue checkin feature - a relatively simple thing to do but by making it a legal requirement for most businesses to display these codes and promote the system it encourages uptake of the app (and is also a more privacy-first design vs handing your contact details over to lots of different businesses).

Comment

Working...
                      X